Bouncing email to nonexistent users?

I’ve recently registered a domain that must have belonged to somone else in the past, because I’m getting email addressed to "person@mydomain.com" where “person” is a likely looking username. A quick test shows that email addressed to any username at my domain gets forwarded to my main Dreamhost email account.

Is there a way to set default email behavior for an account so that email to a nonexistent user gets bounced, as it normally would on a dedicated server?

[quote]Is there a way to set default email behavior for an account so that
email to a nonexistent user gets bounced, as it normally would on
a dedicated server?

[/quote]

For this, all you need to do is delete the ‘catch-all’ email address - denoted as an asterisk - here:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=mail.aliases

…then wait for the configuration to take effect in a couple of hours. Make sure that you have the addresses you do want to use set up, though.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Thanks a lot for the super-quick response, Jeff–I had in fact seen that “*” there in the past but totally forgotten about it.

ok, should have read this before I posted a similar thread. But, I’m a little curious about the language in the panel.

I want to bounce everything that comes in that is not connected with one or two brand new addresses.

Delete the address: *

or bounce everything coming to the address: *

What is the better/DH preferred method for a heavily spammed domain?

Set “bounce everything”, OR just leave the * alias out entirely. Either way, our mail server will send a “reject” error code during the SMTP transaction.

This means that in almost all cases, the forged “sender” of a spam run will not get a deluge of bounces from our server, however a legitimate sender will get a bounce from their mail server with a “User Unknown” error. In most cases, this is the best solution for all parties involved.