Bounced mail = gone forever?

Regarding the outage of the past 24 hours-- we’ve been informed that some mail was “bounced”. Does this mean that it was returned as undeliverable to the sender?

During that black hole period I didn’t receive a single e-mail message. What is the timeframe for recovering those lost messages?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

My guess? Lost forever. I sent myself an email yesterday from work and never received the email OR a bounce.

That is extremely annoying. I/we have no way of knowing what was lost. Perhaps others will fair better.

I may have to rethink renewing my services here.

I’d be interested in knowing what failed and why the loss of email.

btf

I was wondering about this as I tried emailing myself as well but never rec’d a bounce message?

I guess I need to email people I was expecting emails from…using a different account of course.

I think the issue a little unclear. The support announcement states that some mail “bounced”, but I know that several people who sent me mail didn’t not receive notification that the messages were undeliverable.

Hopefully one of the administrators can chime in here to clarify this matter by early start of business on Monday.

[quote]My guess? Lost forever. I sent myself an email yesterday from work and never
received the email OR a bounce.

[/quote]

Yes, this is a VERY serious matter. I’ve experienced it and gone to a lot of effort to capture the evidence for DH Support, only to receive the disappointing news that they can “only fix bugs that are 100% reproducable”. But I do feel they will see the error of this policy if they get enough feedback.

I urge you to submit a ticket.

[quote]I’d be interested in knowing what failed and why the loss of email.

[/quote]

In my case, I was mailbombed to over-quota, which prangs the mailbox by starving it of workspace.

DH said that because the logs said the lost mail was delivered by the server, they couldn’t do anything about my report that it was never actually received by the mailbox. I was really disappointed that they didn’t take this disaterous security hole more seriously.