Bought 2nd domain name with DH: how to move conten

I just bought a domain name and a year’s worth of hosting from DH. I installed WordPress and copied over the database from my already existing WordPress blog. Now I’ve decided to purchase another domain name from DH (decided I didn’t like the first name so much after all). Problem: how do I make this new domain my main domain and move my WordPress blog over to this new domain name?

Thanks for the help!

I guess you have to reinstall everything because there is only one option for installed goodies --> remove.

But you can play a trick. Install new wordpress in the new domain and redirect it to the old one. But the domain name in the address bar will show the old domain name. :frowning:

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

Thanks for answering so fast. Well, I think I’ll just reinstall. So one other question: I just paid $119 for a year’s worth of hosting with my first domain name. When I register the new name (with DH), do I still get to use my old hosting arrangment with this new name? If so, how do I set this up?

Thanks again!

You will have a new WebID in DH. You can log into the two hosting plans with the two different IDs with different hosting arrangments.

I think you will start new hosting arrangement in your new plan.

I don’t think you can transfer the hosting setting from one plan to another

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

Yes, you can host ‘unlimited’ domains under you existing hosting plan.

Once the new domain registration has gone through, you simply need to add the domain to the DreamHost hosting system via the admin panel at Domains -> Manage Domains -> Add New Domain / Sub-Domain. Doing this will create a new sub-directory for your new domain in your home directory, this is where you need to upload the content for your new domain.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Yes! I’m not sure why the Nathan is suggesting you set up another plan. Each DH webhosting plan allows you to host as many domains as you want under that single plan at no additional charge.

To set up your second domain, just log into the Control Panel–>Domains–>Manage Domains, and select the “Add a Domain /sub-domain” link at the bottom of the page below your previously set-up domains.

Fill out the screen that appears, and you are good to go once everything updates.

–rlparker

oops… I thought you want to sign up new plan.

Please follow mark’s suggestion to register new domain name in DH.

Nathan,

mbritt1114 was referring to registering a new domain, he definitely does not need a second hosting plan for this second domain.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Mark,

Ha! we did it again…typing at the same time! :wink: I just hope he didn’t follow Nathan’s advice and set up a new plan! I’ll leave the “dupe” post up anyway…maybe that will help the original poster believe us, since he got conflicting answers! :slight_smile:

–rlparker

Great! Okay, thank you very much rlparker and Raz2133.

No problem. Thanks nathan823.

Yeah, we tend to have a habit of doing that. :slight_smile:

It’s a good thing that we mostly say the same thing when that happens, although I believe ardco has a theory on that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mark

Yea…I saw that…Ardco/Anonymous2/SockPuppetx/“Bob”, et al. comes up with some strange stuff on occasion. Hey, “personalities” can be interesting toys at times, as long as no one takes them too seriously. :wink:

–rlparker