Boing Boing mentions DH (BitTorrent)

apps

DreamHost is just as clueless about BitTorrent as 1and1

Alec Usticke
alec@usticke.org
www.usticke.org
DreamHost

I read that too. Cory Doctorow is one of those guys who cares deeply about the sharing of electronic information (and rightly so), but calling DreamHost “clueless” on the matter is rather unprofessional.

At the end of the day, allowing or not allowing BitTorrent-related software on their servers is a business decision. If enough customers request it, I’m sure they will be accomodated - providing the usage can be monitored to ensure fairness for all customers.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

[quote]At the end of the day, allowing or not allowing
BitTorrent-related software on their servers is a business
decision.

[/quote]

Yes. People sometimes forget that we are, indeed, a business. We are pretty nimble as hosts go, but we’ve got bills and employees to pay and plenty of other features that people want to see implemented. Full BitTorrent ‘support’, as a feature, generates a small fraction the demand that other features have - even though it has historically caused us a lot of problems.

It is a matter of feasibility and focus. We’re not pulling these reasons out of thin air: a disproportionate amount of admin time has been spent dealing with BT-related problems, time that would be (unless/until demand increases significantly) better spent elsewhere.

BT related activities that don’t impact other customers are fine. Hosting raw and legal “.torrent” files is fine, as long as they’re not associated with a CPU/memory hogging tracker script or whatever. People running BT clients or trackers on Dedicated servers are, again, fine (we track bandwidth on a per-server basis there - and they’re not going to impact other customers - so it’s all good).

The best thing that came out of the article is at the very end, wherein someone recommends simply finding a different host for this purpose. People sometimes need to realize that no host can be everything to everyone, and we’ve never claimed to be a BitTorrent-specific host. Our current focus lies elsewhere, and we’ve never claimed otherwise. Those needing more substantial BT support would be well advised to consider all of their options or be willing to hope that enough other DreamHost customers agree with them to make a good business case for us to support it.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

I’m absolutely shocked that anybody would dis any webhosting company that refuses to support BitTorrent trackers…

I’m all for BitTorrent as the next guy, but it’s there is a legal issue in the fact it’s become the #1 distributor of illegal software.

If you must use a BT Tracker, then you’re just gonna have to host it from your own home box. What? Your ISP won’t let you? gee, I wonder why…

Couldn’t you have a seperate BT server/tracker? Maybe it could be an add-on/charge per month for people to have their own tracker or use yours.

I’m sure DreamHost could develop a system or a separate sever/tracker it’s just a matter of priorities. Would most customers like to see php5 or bittorrent? I’m sure most costumers would rather see php5.

So unless a lot of people vote for it I don’t see DreamHost adding it anytime soon.

happylittlethings.com

Could and would are two different things in this one. Maybe they could, but I don’ think they would. BT Trackers carry risk. It is, after all, the number one carrier of illegal software.

I’d suggest if you’re really needing a tracker, make one on your home system and use DynDNS style service to maintain a static hostname. Or find another webhost that actually supports BT Trackers.

[quote]Could and would are two different things in this one. Maybe they could, but I
don’ think they would. BT Trackers carry risk. It is, after all, the number one
carrier of illegal software.

[/quote]

This too is an issue, though not really our primary one. As a host we are pretty much immune to legal challenge as long as we comply in an expeditious manner with all DMCA Notifications that are sent our way (FYI: I’m the registered copyright agent for DreamHost).

On a practical level, though, it takes time to handle incoming DMCA Notifications. I will admit that the likelihood of increased complaints does concern us, but the problems mentioned before with CPU/memory usage are a bigger part of it.

Make no mistake, though: even though BT is heavily used for copyright infringement doesn’t mean that it doesn’t work well for other purposes. It’s especially good for downloading large files such as game demos, large OS upgrades (ie. Linux distributions), etc. We recognize this as we also use BT from time to time.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin