Blogging software?

apps

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to setup some blogging on my dreamhost account. Does anyone have any recommendations for a package I can install?

I recommend WordPress, which DreamHost offers as a simple one-click-to-install procedure.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

I just don’t understand why their (WordPress) default skin is so un-cute and unimpressive.

DreamServers.net - What do you think?

I know Matt Mullenweg to be a very talented developer, and his WordPress software is probably the best open-source blogging tool in existence. But Matt (and I’m sure he’d agree) is no graphic designer. The beauty of WordPress is that it can be skinned and extended in a myriad different ways, much like Firefox can be.

I think the default skin is academic - who isn’t going to design their own look? All that is needed is a rudimentary understanding of CSS.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

You can also find a lot of designs other people have made and are now offerign for downlaod. So if you don’t understand CSS you don’t need to.

-Matttail

Matt did not design any of the WordPress themes.

If you’re looking for a better theme, there are plenty to choose from: http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Themes#Get_New_Themes

MacManX.com
I don’t work here. I’m just your typical support forum volunteer.

I have browsed quite a bit re: WP skins, but perhaps beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, I’m not impressed. For illustrative purpose, I think Blogger.com’s templates are really professional. But my point is: they should at least give the default a decent look: the old, pre-v1.5 default is so good that it doesn’t look right in IE INTENTIONALLY; the new Kubrick-twist default is … [/sigh]. I LOVE Kubrick, I even like the original Kubrick blog, just not the template. I am planning to install WordPress for some of my users who just want a blog, and I am reluctant to use that.

DreamServers.net - What do you think?