Blogging software?

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to setup some blogging on my dreamhost account. Does anyone have any recommendations for a package I can install?

I recommend WordPress, which DreamHost offers as a simple one-click-to-install procedure.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

I just don’t understand why their (WordPress) default skin is so un-cute and unimpressive. - What do you think?

I know Matt Mullenweg to be a very talented developer, and his WordPress software is probably the best open-source blogging tool in existence. But Matt (and I’m sure he’d agree) is no graphic designer. The beauty of WordPress is that it can be skinned and extended in a myriad different ways, much like Firefox can be.

I think the default skin is academic - who isn’t going to design their own look? All that is needed is a rudimentary understanding of CSS.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

You can also find a lot of designs other people have made and are now offerign for downlaod. So if you don’t understand CSS you don’t need to.

Matt did not design any of the WordPress themes.

If you’re looking for a better theme, there are plenty to choose from:
I don’t work here. I’m just your typical support forum volunteer.

I have browsed quite a bit re: WP skins, but perhaps beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, I’m not impressed. For illustrative purpose, I think’s templates are really professional. But my point is: they should at least give the default a decent look: the old, pre-v1.5 default is so good that it doesn’t look right in IE INTENTIONALLY; the new Kubrick-twist default is … [/sigh]. I LOVE Kubrick, I even like the original Kubrick blog, just not the template. I am planning to install WordPress for some of my users who just want a blog, and I am reluctant to use that. - What do you think?