Blacklisted by Sorbs?

Hi everyone,

I noticed that http://www.us.sorbs.net/ has a (the?) Dreamhost mail server blacklisted. This is causing me problems.

Could the appropriate actions be taken to resolve this issue?

here is the entry in their database:

Database of servers sending to spamtrap addresses
Address: 66.33.205.11

Record Created:Tue Jul 26 02:33:18 2005 GMT

Record Updated:Tue Jul 26 02:33:18 2005 GMT

Additional Information:

Received: from baracus.dreamhost.com (baracus.dreamhost.com [66.33.205.11]) by desperado.sorbs.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id A259811437 for <[email]>; Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:08:01 +1000 (EST)

Currently active and flagged to be published in DNS

If you wish to request a delisting please do so through the Support System.

Submit a support ticket… sounds serious.

We know about this and are working with the sorbs people to get delisted. Mail is being routed through other servers until that happens.

Some particularly nasty types decided to use us to send out their phishing scheme emails. We’ve already taken some measures to block future attempts and will be making some further changes soon. Our recent announcement about DNS and email changes is related to this.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder

Good because I’ve had outgoing mail bounce to certain places since 2003 because of Dreamhost being blacklisted. I emailed support way back when and was told there was nothing to be done about it. (…which irritated the hell out of me…)

www.torifest.com
www.6-58.com

It is difficult to balance the needs of the legitimate mass emailers against the problems caused by spammers (and now phishers). We try not to interfere with legitimate uses of our network, but it’s becomingly increasingly hard not to.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder

I just got a report of 205.196.210.16 (faceman) being blocked by blacklist.sequoia.ops.asp.att.net “Blocked for abuse” when sending to an mchsi.com address.

So, just another report. I know how much it sucks to get on a black list because of something you have no control over. And that balance must be hard to tread, our last host (Verio) starting arbitrarily filtering all outgoing email for no fault of the place I work, (health, nursing, etc.). I hope this gets resolved as soon as possible, and thank DH for the all around great service.

Checked the faceman IP this morning and it came back clean on sorbs, (I forgot to check last night).

Address: 205.196.210.16
Record Created: Tue Jul 12 22:37:43 2005 GMT
Record Updated: Sun Jul 17 15:35:09 2005 GMT
Additional Information: from faceman.dreamhost.com (faceman.dreamhost.com [205.196.210.16]) by admin.mcwebber.net (8.10.2/8.10.2) with ESMTP id j6CMIRx04108 for [email]; Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:18:27 -0500
Currently inactive and not flagged to be published in DNS.

edit: according to rbls.org, bl.csma.biz had faceman blocked, but it was for receiving a virus: “Sat Jul 23 22:31:15 2005 Received - {Virus Removed} Update your CevyChase Online Banki” and I requested the IP be removed from the database.