Bika LIMS and Plone on DreamCompute?

dreamcompute

I have been trying to install Plone and then Bika on DreamCompute. After days of spinning up servers, I still cannot get it to run.
I have a feeling that the image that DreamCompute uses is not compatible with Plone. Not sure why. I am trying to install Bika LIMS on top of Plone,. However I need to get Plone running first.
Here are the “simple” instructions for setting up Bika. Install a few packages and viola! It should be done.:

Currently Bika requires Ubuntu 14.04 and Plone 4.3.11 Current version of Bika is 3.1.13 Links are all on website above.
Any assistance that I could have solving this issue would be very helpful.
I can provide stack traces ond screen out put if necessary.

Thanks

I seriously doubt that virtual machines on DreamCompute are ‘incompatible’ with Plone. what distribution version are you using on DreamCompute? If you create an Ubuntu 14.04, for example, that will be functionally identical to a physical or virtual server with that distribution version. Instructions to install Plone on Ubuntu 14.04 will work on DreamCompute, too (except maybe if special ports need to be opened --see https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215912838-How-to-configure-access-and-security-for-DreamCompute-instances).

That said, stack traces are useful, as are screenshots. Paste them here or imgur or paste.openstack.org or anywhere you feel comfortable.

Bika requires Plone 4.3.11. Current version of Bika is 3.1.13
Installed DreamCompute image Ubuntu 14.04, Plone 4.3.11. Bika fails miserably in the eggs buildout. Just trying to get Plone up and running before attempting the Bika add on.

I have SSH keys and users group configured. Plone runs from port 8080, is there something special that needs to be configured? I am able to connect to it as localhost:8080 from the terminal.

can post screen outputs from the bika install later.
Thanks again.

Agreed, let’s get Plone setup first… forget about bika for a second.

Access from terminal is one thing, access from external/public network is another. Try telnetting to 8080 from your home computer and see if it’s open (or use nmap). If port 8080 appears closed, check your Security Groups … go to your server on https://cloud.dreamhost.com/servers/ and check the Security tab, open a “Custom port”.

Is Plone running already?

Thanks! I added a custom security rule to allow port 8080 through. That allowed access and confirmed to me that Plone was running via a web page. That was key in getting browser access Plone. I could see that the services were running, just not able to access it via browser.
PLONE is running and I can now configure it!

Will start working on getting the bika egg running on Plone. It is still throwing error. I will work through them tonight and give an update in the morning.
Thanks again for your help Smaffulli !

Hello there!

Were you able to get the bika egg to run? I’m having a similar issue. Plone seens to run fine but when i try to ‘add new site’ with the BIKA LIMS component checked it throws:

[code]
2017-05-09 09:51:47 INFO GenericSetup.workflow-csv Updating existing workflow definition bika_worksheet_workflow.
2017-05-09 09:51:47 ERROR Zope.SiteErrorLog 1494334307.540.703653180503 http://192.168.161.116:8080/@@plone-addsite
Traceback (innermost last):
Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 138, in publish
Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 77, in mapply
Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 48, in call_object
Module Products.CMFPlone.browser.admin, line 223, in call
Module Products.CMFPlone.factory, line 111, in addPloneSite
Module Products.GenericSetup.tool, line 388, in runAllImportStepsFromProfile

• traceback_info: profile-bika.lims:default
    Module Products.GenericSetup.tool, line 1433, in _runImportStepsFromContext
    Module Products.GenericSetup.tool, line 1245, in _doRunImportStep
  • traceback_info: workflow-csv
    Module collective.wtf.exportimport, line 244, in importCSVWorkflow