BIG PHP problems

software development

I’ve recently ftp’d a site up to DH with some PHP code, The page has been completely disfigured by the PHP error comments. I’m fairly new to the DH interface but have tried numerous connotations of checking.unchecking “Run PHP as CGI” and “PHP Version 5? (ONLY WORKS WITH PHP-CGI)” in my web services panel. Are my errors possibly to do with DH Apache settings? I’ve tried support 3 times on this without response, I’ve personally found DH support to be abysmal at best. Any suggestions or help gratefully received.
Martyn

Sometimes, a single error can result in multiple error messages. Any errors you may be getting are likely to result from one of the following:

1. Errors in your programming logic
  2. Calls to extensions that are not supported
  3. Differences between server configurations

Please tell us what errors you are receiving, and we’ll see if we can figure out what the problem is.

Have you been with DreamHost long? Most people who have been here for any significant length of time have found the support team of DreamHost to be reponsive, helpful, and friendly.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

I might have been a bit hasty on the ‘abysmal’ reference but its been a very long day, but friendly is definitley there. I did get a response after my third attempt. The problem they’ve advised is …
“URL file-access is disabled, you’ll see that URL file access is disabled. We do not allow you to link to URL’s within php, so you’ll need to change those to absolute server paths.” I think its therefore back to the drawing board but any suggestions greatly appreciated
Cheers
Martyn

A quick search on these forums for your issue will point you just about every time to the following link:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/CURL

This should help you with your problem.

I strongly recommend that you read the article about this matter on the DreamHost Wiki. If you are trying to access a URL that is not within your website, you will need to make use of the cURL library functions. I imagine that once you get this issue sorted out, most (if not all) of your errors will vanish.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog