A friend of mine had his website on another host, (Network Solution). He had someone that took care of the site. That person contacted my friend and said that he no longer would managing my friends site and that he had made a zipped backup copy of the site and put it on Dropbox, (my friends web Network Solution hosting account had expired by this time). The former site manager recommended DreamHost as an alternative hosting site.
This is where I came into the picture. I at least knew a little bit more about websites than my friend so he asked me if I would help him get a DreamHost account and get the site back up and running … after all how difficult could that be? : ) I got started by asking DreamHost if they would give me and hand and they did, (they have been very helpful). Well, it has turned into quite a process and at this point I am stumped at how to get rid of anything that is creating the problem and replacing it with the website backup that I have on my hard drive, (I took the zip backup off Dropbox and put it on my hard drive). The process of getting the site back up and running sounds easy, but not so.
DreamHost support uploaded the original zip file from Dropbox into my Dreamhost webFTP account and unpacked it, but something has glitched and the site has not worked. All I would like to do now is get rid of the bad in my webFTP account and replace it with what works!
Good news first: You did the restore correctly! By uploading the zip and expanding it, you got everything except one file up. The missing file is why you have ‘missing’ pages. That missing file is a standard WP file, called .htaccess, which means I was able to restore that for you and now the link work