Best Basic HTML Editor/Web Design Software?

design

Hi, I’m looking for recommendations for a relatively basic HTML
editor/web design software that also assists in coordinating FTP
stuff. I’m in the process of starting my own domain, mainly to host
my own photography and writing, so nothing overly complex.

Historically I’ve used FrontPage for my web designing, but I find it
frustrating to use, even on a basic level, and would like other
recommendations. I don’t mind paying for quality as far as software
goes, but am also, of course, open-minded to anything free. Thanks in
advance for any assistance!

Regards,
Alex

Also, separately, if anyone can recommend an easy, free FTP program
that would be appreciated, as well.

The ftp program: http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/index.php

About the software… Do you know html? if the answer it’s yes maybe you can use text editors similars to notepad.exe…

No Setup Programs (in spannish, yes… I’m from Spain)

http://nvu.com

Nvu, its a great little editor and is free. Has built in FTP

[quote]…I’m looking for recommendations for a relatively basic HTML
editor/web design software that also assists in coordinating FTP
stuff.

Also, separately, if anyone can recommend an easy, free FTP program
that would be appreciated, as well.[/quote]
The best free HTML editor, I think, is HTML Kit, but it is not WYSIWYG. However, since you’re not all too happy with FrontPage anyway, perhaps this won’t matter. You can just use your web browser to load and display your web page as it develops.

If you just want a better free WYSIWYG HTML page designer/generator/editor, then, as suggested above, NVu is probably the way to go.

The best free FTP program out there, in my opinion, is Smart FTP. It’s always worked great for me!

There’s really no good reason to go spend big bucks on other commercial programs. These Open Source programs do a great job, and for free!

Best,

Max

PS: You posted this same query in two different places. That’s called “double posting”. You should try to not do that. Instead, choose the forum that’s best suited for your question or statement, and see what feedback you get there first.

I would recommend Evrsoft 1st Page. I have made all my sites on it. It is 100% free and very easy to use. http://www.evrsoft.com

For a FTP editor, a good free one would be WS-FTP LE, it’s free.

Go for Evsoft 1st Page and SmartFtp. I used 1st Page a few years ago when first learning and it was great. SmartFtp suits me fine so I haven’t looked at other alternatives.

If you don’t want a WYSIWYG, then go for Crimson Editor. That is a great programming tool which supports lots of languages. It also has a simple inbuilt FTP client. So you can open files through FTP in it, edit them, and it saves them back on to the server. Saves you editing one file, and having to keep switching windows to SmartFtp to upload it :). It’s not been updated in a while, but it’s still a complete program.

Just a plug for a product to replace FirstPage if you like FirstPage:

http://htmlbeauty.com/

Very similar, I believe both are based on the old Homesite editor, but Beauty has been updated in 2004 I believe whereas FirstPage has been untouched since 99 or 2000. I’m fairly certain FirstPage’s “coming soon” rhetoric is complete BS, they’ve been sayin that for_ever., I think they are just around to trade on their longevity and mucho linkto’s from old cobwebs :slight_smile:

Beauty’s find and replace kicks all butt, gotta be my favorite feature.

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

I use Eversoft 1st Page 2000. It has different modes if you don’t want it to be too crazy with options. Only prob is it doesn’t have a built in ftp client. What might interest you is a windows “web folder.” You could save all of your page files to that and it will automatically upload them all to your web directory. If you just google it, you’ll get tons of hits.

Maxdreamer, thanks for the HTML Kit suggestion! I saw your post a few days ago and decided to try it out–I usually do all my coding in a plain text editor, but the reappearance of carpal tunnel syndrome has dictated that I do something to eliminate some of the typing I do. And this is fantastic, exactly what I need. I’d tried a bunch of editors, both WYSIWIG and non-WYSIWIG, and never found one before now that didn’t drive me up a wall with everything being all ass-backwards from how I wanted it to be.

Hey DaisyGirl, you’re welcome! It is pretty awesome, isn’t it! And it is a text editor, so you can still hand-code your HTML to your heart’s content, just that now you have lots of shortcuts and tools at your disposal to help you with all the repetitive chores involved in HTML coding and proofing. It’s also a well coded app, not bloatware, so it runs pretty fast even on older PCs. Plus, it has, literally, dozens and dozens of plugins, so you can further enhance it’s functionality and performance to suit your own personal needs and tastes. I could go on, but you get the picture. It’s amazing that something this good is Open Source freeware!

Regarding your CTS (I hope it’s really just relatively mild RSI at this point), here’s what I do: (1) As soon as possible after I feel like I’m starting to get it, [i]if[/i] I am able to do so, I stop working for a few days, or at least for the upcoming weekend! (It’s tough, I know, but ya’ gotta do what ya’ gotta do!) If you don’t have it real bad already, a few days rest really helps you heal pretty well; (2) I try to not stay in the same position hand- and/or wrist-wise more than I need to. For example, I’ve learned to remove my hands from the keyboard and mouse when I’m thinking or reading, placing them in a relaxed posture on my chair’s arm rests or on my lap instead; (3) I use Break Reminder (freeware) to help me manage my computer use to prevent RSI in the first place (it sounds like a drag, I know, but it really isn’t!). If you visit the site, don’t forget to check out the Resources page. They have some helpful links and info on CTS/RSI there as well.

Best wishes!

-Max

I do need to work harder on the ergonomics end, I think. For a long time I was able to keep the problems from coming back just by using a touchpad instead of a regular mouse, but lately the wrists are threatening to go on strike. That Break Reminder software looks helpful.

It isn’t too bad yet–fortunately I know now what the initial symptoms feel like, unlike the first time I had a bad flareup of it and didn’t realize it was from repetitive strain until it was severe enough to force me to see a doctor. Another tip for anyone else out there with this problem–this one is from my doctor–B vitamins. (I used to have a link to a journal abstract but can’t seem to find it right now.) Right now I’m taking a B-50 complex and an extra 50mg of B6. It worked wonders last time, kept me from needing surgery. It doesn’t help everyone and takes a while (weeks to a couple of months) to start helping, but it’s cheap enough to be worth a shot.

[quote]And it is a text editor, so you can still hand-code your HTML to your heart’s content,
just that now you have lots of shortcuts and tools at your disposal to help you with all
the repetitive chores involved in HTML coding and proofing.

[/quote]

I think this was the key for me. Even the non-WYSIWIG tools I’ve tried before seemed to want me to do things in a way that’s unfamiliar/uncomfortable for me, whereas this is just plopping the code in wherever I want it and saving me all that typing…

It sounds like you’re on Windows, so I highly recommend WebDrive, which makes any FTP or SFTP site available as a drive letter. This lets you use any Windows software to access your DreamHost files. You aren’t limited to programs that have SFTP support built in, because WebDrive takes care of that. Very slick and well worth the money for anyone who administers a site from their Windows machine.

vim, scite (scintilla), or amaya (w3c editor)