Best Basic HTML Editor/Web Design Software?

Hi, I’m looking for recommendations for a relatively basic HTML
editor/web design software that also assists in coordinating FTP
stuff. I’m in the process of starting my own domain, mainly to host
my own photography and writing, so nothing overly complex.

Historically I’ve used FrontPage for my web designing, but I find it
frustrating to use, even on a basic level, and would like other
recommendations. I don’t mind paying for quality as far as software
goes, but am also, of course, open-minded to anything free. Thanks in
advance for any assistance!

Regards,
Alex

Also, separately, if anyone can recommend an easy, free FTP program
that would be appreciated, as well.

check out NVU for a free WYSIWYG editor. It can also handle basic FTP.

You might check out Dreamweaver also. This one’s not at all free (for leagal versions anyways). I’m not sure it’s really worth the money. It’s a great program, produces fairly clean code, and had lots of capabilties. But I tend towards learning to code your self rather than relying on a program to do it for you.

I like FileZilla for FTP, also free. Basic layout, open source FPT program. It works well for me.

Oh, and welcome to the side of Light! I’m so glad you’ve left Front Page. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Please don’t souble post. It’s annoying. I waisted my time finding links and what not, just to move on a bit and see that it’s allready been asnwered.

-Matttail

[quote]…I’m looking for recommendations for a relatively basic HTML
editor/web design software that also assists in coordinating FTP
stuff.

Also, separately, if anyone can recommend an easy, free FTP program
that would be appreciated, as well.
[/quote]
The best free HTML editor, I think, is HTML Kit, but it is not WYSIWYG. However, since you’re not all too happy with FrontPage anyway, perhaps this won’t matter. You can just use your web browser to load and display your web page as it develops.

If you just want a better free WYSIWYG HTML page designer/generator/editor, then, as Matttail suggests, NVu is probably the way to go.

The best free FTP program out there, in my opinion, is Smart FTP. It’s always worked great for me!

There’s really no good reason to go spend big bucks on other commercial programs. These Open Source programs do just as good -or better- a job, and for free!

Best,

Max