Belkin Routers

The cool people in tech support suggested that I post this and I will.

Don’t ever buy a Belkin brand router. The firewall is so flawed and has been for the past 2 years. Recently, I decided to go wireless and picked out the Pre N router and bus card. Wider coverage, less interference, 108mbps and soon to be approved by summer 2006. Found a great deal at Costco for $199 and a $50 off coupon. Tried it out at home and worked great. Tried the bus card on the road in a hotel with a “b” networked and noticed a 12% increase in speed. Received great reviews.

Then on Sunday, I tried to use a simple FTP transfer to my web server. Small files seem to work (less than 6kb) but my ftp transfers would time out on larger files.

Puzzled, I contacted Dreamhost techsupport. I also checked my ftp client and everything was the same. I then contacted Belkin and they couldn’t understand it. The csr suggested I get the range of the ports my computer was using and suggested I place my computer outside of the firewall for ftp transfers. He didn’t understand how dynamic ftp clients work.

You got to be kidding! He said this was the only way this was going to work.

I hung up, then checked the system logs. The firewall and router recorded my ftp transfer attempts as DoS attacks! I then did a Google search. One suggested that a firmware upgrade was necessary, which I had already done.

Further searching came up with the real problem. Belkin has had this problem for over 2 years. Two years? And they can’t get something as basic as ftp transfers to work instead of making them look like DoS attacks.

Fortunately, I saved all the packaging and got my refund. Decided on a Netgear wireless router (model WGT 624) and bus card (model WG511T). Anyone know of any problems with Netgear’s firewall or any other Netgear problems?

I’ve had problems with almost every wireless router I’ve had, just simply can’t handle the traffic. So I put them in bridge mode and use a hardware router and that works pretty good.

I did once go over to someone’s house who was experiencing frequent disconnects with their DSL due to a Belkin router crashing whenever there wasn’t any WAN traffic.

Netgears are good, Linksys is good (have to hack the firmware), and I like Asante (non-wireless) gear.

happylittlethings.com

side note: an easy way to put d-link wireless routers, (might work on others) into a bridging mode is to plug the ethernet cable feeding from your other router into a LAN port on the back of the d-link instead of WAN and it works right away without changing any settings.

[quote]side note: an easy way to put d-link wireless routers, (might work on others) into a bridging mode is to plug the ethernet cable feeding from your other router into a LAN port on the back of the d-link instead of WAN and it works right away without changing any settings.[quote]

That works for almost any wireless router. Although, you have to be careful that the wireless router is configured because some will still have an interface accessible by ip.

happylittlethings.com

Thanks for all the responses. By the way, I finally did get to make my ftp transfers that same day. I turned off and disconnected the router and just connected directly into the dsl modem.

Viola! It worked.

By the way, I still haven’t connected my new Netgear router and bus card. I have a new toy coming soon, an HP laptop, dv8000 and I’ll see how well this router works.

For now, I’m using my old router (D-Link)-hardwired into the desktop and my other laptop.

I just realized something. Some of you expressed dissatisfaction of wireless networks. Do you think this all has to to do with the encryption process? But something as basic as ftp client transfers should be something all routers should be able to do.