Beginner & flumoxed: can't get domain/site working

wordpress

I’m trying to finish up a site someone else started and I am not highly technical.

Site was set up with a mirror, and I thought all we had to do was point the domain to dreamhost. We did that, but site’s not coming up. www.alleghenyuu.org.

If I delete the Quickstart.html file, the folder directory appears in the web browser, not the actual site. there are several old versions in there so wondering if that is part of the problem.

also, if i go to alleghenyuu.org/wp/ our content doesn’t show up. Theme is there, and navigation, but no actual content.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

It looks like you’re trying to run WP out of a sub directory but you only have this partly configured. Don’t worry, we can fix this :slight_smile:

http://alleghenyuu.org/wp/wp-admin/ works so the first thing to do is log in and go to the General panel. In the box for Site address (URL): change the address to the root directory’s URL (for you - http://alleghenyuu.org/ ). Click Save Changes. You may get an error here, but not likely.

Next, since you already fixed your index.php to point to that folder, you want move (not copy) the .htaccess file from /wp/ to one folder up (where you have quickstart.html). That should solve the redirections.

Thank you so much for the help! I did have the site address changed. A friend also took a look and said that I was missing the /wp in the URL reference in my index.php file. She fixed that and the site came up. But she did not move the .htaccess file. Is this also a viable route? I saw some people posting here about changes to that for security reasons–would you advise those changes?

You should still move the .htaccess or make a new one like this:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /wp/
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>
# END WordPress

Put that in the folder above /wp (same as you did for the index.php file) :slight_smile:

I don’t do it for security personally, but I like having all my apps in their own folders :wink: