Basics of publishing a website

Hey I am new to web design and pbulishing. I just kinda jumped in and got a website for a year…

How exactly do I get my web page to display when someone types my domain name into their address bar. Do I use those .htaccess files in the root? Are there any good tutuorials on this?

Also any good tutorials on html coding would be nice too. Simple step by step would be nice… there seems to be a shortage of these on the net…

THANKS!!!

A good place to start is the Dreamhost Wiki “Getting Started” category, with special attention given to the “Building a Website” article, which has many links to tutorials.

You shouldn’t generally need to worry about .htaccess files yet.

You would probably also benefit from other articles referred to in the “Getting Started” section, particularly the articles in the “Understanding Dreamhost” category.

When you find a term you don’t understand, search the wiki, or Google, and you will likely find lots of help. :wink:

Of course, you can always post here for a specific question - there are many here who are willing to help. Good Luck, and Welcome to Dreamhost! :slight_smile:

–rlparker

welcome to DH!

if i understand you correctly, you want to upload some files to your server and show them to the world.

here are the steps:

1. Don’t forget you can make use DH panel. Log into to DH panel https://panel.dreamhost.com with your email address and password.

2. Go to DH panel --> Domains --> Manage Domains and click on webftp to go to your ftp server.

3. You should see three folders. Maildir Logs Yourdomain.com You should put all your files to [color=#CC0000]Yourdomain.com[/color] folder

4. You are done. Just make sure all your files are inside Yourdomain.com folder. Type your domain in the address bar to have the fun

:stuck_out_tongue:

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

… and, of course, never forget to preview everything you write before uploading it.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

thanks for the tips and help everyone. =0

and don’t forget to check it AFTER you upload it.

Wholly

check out w3schools.com They have all kinds of great “starter” tutorials. From html to PHP. On and on.

When you’ve done all that go and hit the one button Joomla installer; then you’ll have time to teach yourself guitar! :0)