Bandwidth vs Data Transfer

Hi everyone.

I saw on thw dreamhost.com product page that for example, the “Sweet Dreams” package has “1.2Tb monthly bandwidth”. This seem really strange, and I interpret that has “1.2Tb monthly data transfer limit”. Am I correct? If I am correct, what is the real bandwidth available? 1Mbps? 5Mbps? 10Mbps? That is really an important question to me.

For the record, and using an online available definition (since I’m not an english native and may be confusing terms):

Data Transfer is the amount of data that an account is allowed to send back and forth in a given time period. For example, 10 GB per month.

Bandwidth is the speed at which data can be transferred through the medium. For example, 10 Mbps (Megabits per second).

Yes, the 1.2TB is referring to a monthly data transfer limit of 1.2 TByte, not a potential bandwidth of 1.2TByte/second.

This is probably a question you need to ask DreamHost support or sales.

I can tell you that I have seen speeds of approx 1MByte/s upstream and 2MByte/s downstream from my server (‘Bixel’) using WGET, but, this being shared hosting, these figures can vary quite a bit depending on network load.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

It also depend of your location.

It’s a bit slower from Europe.
I’v seen faster shared hosting, but really more expensive.

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#6600CC]97USD[/color] :cool: use “moua” as referrer

it just like Raz2133 said

but the port is on 200mbps (I read this somewhere)
when my site still active ppl can download arround 100-800kB/s (equal to 1 - 6.5 mbps)

the only thing you have to worried is the traffic
if your site use to many connection in 1 day, they might give you “warning”

~Blebekblebek

“the only thing you have to worried is the traffic
if your site use to many connection in 1 day, they might give you “warning””

But is any limit stated on the dreamhost pages? Do you have any idea of a “number of connections” that would begin to have them “bugging” me?

I currently have a site with an average of around 1000 daily unique IP visitors, and about 8000 daily reload visitors.

Is that too much for an L3 (“Code Monster”) plan?

I don’t know what this user is refering to about connections. There used to be a limit on the number of CPU seconds that you could use - 60 per day. However Dreamhost has since removed that limitation. Not to say that you can use as many as you want, but as long as you’re not bogging down the server and effecting other users you’ll be just fine. Should it turn out you’re using too much, support will work with you on cutting down your usage, or if need be finding a dedicated solution or what have you.

I don’t think you will have any issues based on the number of visits and reloads, but what makes a bigger difference is what those visitors are going. If they’re just getting html pages that’s one thing, but if it’s cgi or php pages that means the server has to parse them before sending them out. Good code makes a big difference.

I sigguest signing up and trying out dreamhost. I suspect that you’ll like it here. You’ve got 97 days to try it when you can still get your money back (if you pay by credit card) so see how things go.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

well it doesnt matter on what level are you
you are on “Shared” host, that share a resource with the other
IMO if you need that “BIG” amount of resource at least get dedicated (or VPS)

better pray your site not getting to popular
believe me they will warn you soon or later

~Blebekblebek

60 seconds? I’m sure you mean minutes.

Save $97 on all yearly plans with the promo code [color=#CC0000]DREAMZAP[/color]

lol! for sure I do. 60 min. (60 sec is quite ridiculous for sure!)

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

Hi there.
Thanks, Mark.
Turned out I’m on the skybar server. Does anyone know if it’s any good?
I’d really not like it if my visitors have to wait half the day for a page to load. All my friends have lightning fast internet connections, so slow or not slow it’s fast to them. LOL

No problem, my pleasure :slight_smile:

My sites are on the ‘Bixel’ server, so I can’t comment on the speed of ‘Skybar’.

I guess the fastest way to test the speed of your server would be to upload a largish test file to it and have your friends (with the fast connections) try downloading the file at various times through-out the day.

You can also check the load of your server by logging in with SSH and typing uptime, this will show how long your particular server has been up and the average load on the server.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

What does the load time mean? I get 3 numbers:
1.54 1.84 and 1.48

Raven

www.savefrystreet.com
www.oaksclass.com
www.kaonevar.com

[quote]What does the load time mean? I get 3 numbers:
1.54 1.84 and 1.48[/quote]
The figures displayed by uptime are the system load averages over the last 1, 5 and 15 minutes.

I believe (but could be wrong here) the numbers actually represent an average of the number of processes waiting for CPU time, so in a dual CPU system the ideal load would be 2 or less. In practice, I have found anything less than 4 or so to be perfectly fine, with no appreciable slowdown of the server.

The figures you quote look very good for a shared server.

Mark

When I emailed DH about this, they seemed exceptionally vague, which I found disappointing.

Fastest I’ve been able to download off my webpage was approximately 1200 KByte/s, though it averages 800-900 Kbyte/s for most users.