That message is nine days old according to the date on it, and it says the web panel is unavailable, which is obviously not true right now.
I went and read some MySQL documentation, and the message I’m getting supposedly means the mysqld daemon isn’t running. Now I’ve read the knowledge base here, and I know that DH doesn’t run the database on the same machine as the webserver, so the message I’m getting running the mysql command from my shell account could easily be because it’s looking for a local mysqld that’s not supposed to be there anyway. I don’t know the name of the machine that dinero’s databases are on, nor do I really know how to make the mysql client connect to it, so that’s really a dead end. With my lack of knowledge I can’t really draw any conclusions other than I can’t make a database via any of the proper channels. (If I’m missing something please feel free to let me know.)
Is this just my account still being in the process of being set up? I really tend to doubt that, since I’ve been able to get everything else working, shell account, email, subdmains, etc. It really doesn’t matter what the reason is anyway, unless it’s some kind of major failure (in which case the status page should have been updated and I should have gotten an email.)
From my perspective as a customer, I have two options here.
1: I can sit on my hands and watch the number of support requests climb from ~370 to above 500, while (based on posts in this forum) expecting that it could still take more than 24 hours before my ticket is responded to and not getting any feedback until then,
2: I can go back on the web, look around for another webhost, sign up, set up my account, set up my site, switch over my domains, wait for them to propagate through DNS, come back here, cancel the support ticket and ask for my refund. Now is there any reason why I shouldn’t start doing that, while I wait? If I can find a webhost that’s acceptable to me (I’m sure I can, and it only gets easier as this goes on), and I can do all these steps before my problem gets resolved, why should I stick around? I’ll bet you I can do all of that within 24 hours easily, other than maybe waiting for the domains to propagate.
You could say that all webhosts have problems. That would be true, and that would also not be a reason to stick with DH. You could say that DH has better support on average than other webhosts, and that’s probably even true for many webhosts, but I’ll bet you there are at least a few who’s support is comparable on average, and who offer similar packages. I have every reason to believe that DH is generally a great company, but they just aren’t “better enough” to make me wait all that long when I’m sitting dead in the water like this right off the bat.
Now my website is basically a personal thing, it’s not costing me money to not be able to put it up or anything. If it was more important, I’d probably already be gone. It’s not that Dreamhost sucks either, in fact I signed up because a lot of people said a lot of good things about them. But the fact is that there are other good webhosting companies out there too. This is not my attempt to threaten DH or even argue with anyone, I’m mostly just thinking out loud here.