Bad character encoding & AdSense = question marks?

Hello. I’m having some problems with AdSense ads on a few of my pages. i.e. here: http://hazletonarea.net/hazleton_pa/forum/ (NOTE: sometimes the ads display correctly and other times I get question marks in place of actual ad text)

I’ve contacted AdSense and they seem to think the problem has to do with character encoding. Their response to me was:

“According to our parsing logs, it appears that your HTML may be encoded incorrectly. Specifically, it seems that you are using multi-byte character encoding, which is not a valid method of encoding HTML pages.” … “I recommend you look at your webserver settings or talk to your webserver administrator to make sure that your pages are being returned in a standard encoding.”

I’m not super-familiar with character encoding or how to troubleshoot/diagnose this problem.

Can anyone give any tips or help?

Thanks

Your site is being served as ISO-8859-1, whereas your AdSense is being served as UTF-8. Since your site is running Joomla!, I would expect it to also be served as UTF-8 (see this for details). I’m not sure how a web server setting could make any difference. If you get no joy with DH support, I recommend getting support from the Joomla! folks.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

This is a fun one, especially on Windows. scjessey is correct. The ads I see look to be traditional Chinese. This are “double-byte” characters. If someone doesn’t have the language pack installed, they will get just ???. Even if they do, if the character encoding is off, they may still not get the correct characters.

Ok I’ve changed the _ISO definition in the Joomla language file to UTF-8 and I now have the correct? meta tag being served in my pages:

Is that all there is to it? Do I need to make sure all pages are saved with UTF-8 encoding from a text editor as well?

According to the link scjessey provided, “Up to now in order to change from one encoding to another all that was required was to change the _ISO definition in the language file”. I am using Joomla 1.0.8 not 1.5 as is mostly discussed in that link so I should qualify as “Up to now”.

The ads are still “wrong” however Google also stated, “remember that after any changes you make, it might take 1-2 weeks for our crawler to visit your site and reindex your pages”.

Thanks again.

[quote]

Is that all there is to it? Do I need to make sure all pages are saved with UTF-8 encoding from a text editor as well?[/quote]
There are four things that you can do to control character encoding:

1. Add this to your .htaccess file:AddDefaultCharset utf-82. Save your files as UTF-8

2. Add this to the very top of your PHP pages:header("Content-Type: text/html;charset=UTF-8");4. Use the element as you did

Option 1 is a site-wide sledgehammer, so only use that if you are certain that everything is okay being set to UTF-8 by default. I don’t use that (lots of old ISO-8859-1 pages), but I use all the others.

Well if the should work then I guess I’ll wait on it a bit and see if Google just needs to spider again to start serving English ads.

Guess I’ll add “read up on character encoding” to my to-do list. Not understanding this has bitten me a few times already.

No. The element is definitely not sufficient on its own. You should use as many of those options as you can.

Ok will do.