Backups User! New Feature?

“Also…it’d be really awesome to be able to put a copy of my public key up there so I could throw together a backup script.”

I tried this and it works fine.

Larry

I haven’t tried the feature yet but it’s glad to hear that :slight_smile:

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

This is great. I just really hope they add rsync support.

Click here or enter [color=#CC0000]FREEDOM3[/color] for $50 off and 3 free domains!

OK, 50GB sounds really very nice. But I’m trying to upload something to my brand new backup account, and it’s ridiculously slow: 1.2 - 4kb/sec. I doubt that the problem is at my end, I’m sitting in my office in a major research university with a usually lightning fast connection, at least when I upload things to my DH-hosted website from here.

Anybody else having similar issues?

Further to my previous post, I now get slightly higher, but very variable speeds.

I wonder if that’s because the backup server is daisy-chained to the other server behind Josh’s laundry bin?

I tried this too and it just hung. I think this is a great feature but I really need rsync to take advantage of it. Does DH read these foura or is there some other way to get the message to them?

You can use the suggestion feature in the panel.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

I also noticed extremely slow speeds. I was getting 8kb/sec max. If it’s going to be this slow, then rsync will be absolutely necessary.

If someone makes a suggestion in the panel, let us know so that everyone here can vote on it.

Click here or enter [color=#CC0000]FREEDOM3[/color] for $50 off and 3 free domains!

Is that 8kb/sec or 8KB/sec?

I suspect Dreamhost may be working out the loading of the backup servers. It is, after all, a brand new service and they’re going to have to figure out how much load each server can take and do some averaging to figure out how much a typical user will upload. Plus they might be using some slightly different infrastructure for these backup servers from their typical web servers. I wonder if they’re using the failed disk clusters from the Blingy incident?

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off

Hah, yes, KB. I can be lazy with caps…

Well, at the moment I’m getting between 75KB/sec. Not exactly fast but exactly comparable to the 75KB/sec I get uploading to my regular server.

I’ve noticed that these figures do get reduced as the latency on my cable connection goes up - when I’m seeding torrents, for example.

This suggestion has been added to the suggestion panel( https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=home.sugg& ) by someone.

If you want this feature, please vote it up. Its just 1 credit.

Suggestion title: Allow rsync -e ssh for new Personal Backup Account.

I am waiting for this before I begin my backups.

Binny V A

I’ve used the following on my local machine to mount the Dreamhost backup:

sshfs -o reconnect,cache_timeout=10000 username@dreamhostserver.com:. /mnt/backup

Then the following to rsync to it:

rsync -rtpvP --inplace /localdir /mnt/backup