Backing up

What is going on with the backup procedure on Dreamhost?!

I am trying to backup my account, with a user that has ~10GB of data and there is no way to do it through the panel interface. In fact when I emailed support about it, I was told it’s because my account is larger than 2GB and I would have to use the manual FTP function. Then I got directed to this page http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Backup which has a paragraph on how to do it manually, which then redirects to the FTP page. This FTP page doesn’t even mention the word back up http://wiki.dreamhost.com/FTP

Firstly, how many people out there with a serious website business actually have less than 2GB of data?!

Secondly, when I was with Hostgator I was able to compress all my websites under my account and send a backup to any server in the world via FTP (via cpanel), as well as storing a compressed .tar.gz file on their server for me to download.

Overall I have been happy with dreamhost since changing over last year BUT your backup facilities are rather disappointing. So please, make it easier to download a full backup of a user’s account… I really don’t understand why it has to be made so difficult!

Yes, I tried their script too. It doesn’t work.

Not many. That is a fairly small amount of data these days. I remember when things fit on 100KB diskettes, of a spool of paper tape. Now, it takes 4GB of DVD to hold programs, let alone their data.

I use Wordpress. There are plug-ins for that which do daily backups of the database and email them.

As for the other files, I find that shell access and the commands such as:

tar -czvf /tmp/myBackup.tgz ~
mv /tmp/myBackup.tgz ~

do the trick. It generates the backup file which ftp can then download. I don’t normally need to run the file backup since Wordpress does not keep much in terms of files. The only thing that I may need to backup is the photo collection, but since the photos are uploaded from my workstation anyway and they are baked up there, there is little need.

Most of the changes wth Wordpress are in the database and that is backed up daily to an off-site location via email.

Still, to each his own. You can write a small script and run it via cron to generate a daily backup. Use the /tmp directory to put the backup file out of the directory being backed up. Of course, I use my own name for the backup file. It is not the one that I am giving you here because the file names need to be distinct in the directory.