AWStats, questions and ponderings

apps

Okay, so I got tired of the default DH statistics engine after a year and a half (commentary not required), and am looking to experiment. I have a couple questions though about AWStats, which should be relatively easy to figure out but I don’t wanna be breaking something. I want to set up AWStats to be served from stats.domain.com so when I check, it doesn’t get counted in with the total trafic of the domain name in question. Is that a possibility? Also, the wiki suggests turning DNS lookups off. But, and this is where I think DH’s default package spoils me, I like not having to mess with IP addresses. I mean, it might work better for determining from which country a given person is visiting, but I’d still far rather tell someone’s visiting using AOL instead of using 172.x.x.x. Will there be much of a performance hit if I turn on DNS lookups? Particularly if I want to update more than once a day? And will the geoip functionality still work with DNS lookups turned on? Also, and last question, I promise… I get a mixed reaction from both the wiki and these forums about multiple updates with AWstats. Meaning, for example, the wiki suggests using access.log as a basis for updating. But, if I update hourly and the logs rotate at 45 past the hour, will I miss that 45 minutes of updates? If so, has there been a work-around for it, or would I be better served just letting it update on a daily basis? I’ll probably have a few more questions, but… well, this is all good for now. Once I actually get the thing working, then I’ll bombard the forum with more.

Yes, I have an opinion.

Get a minimum 50% off with the “haveadreamyday” promo code, and… have a dreamy day. Original, no?

Hi,

i’d be interested to hear how you get on with implementing it and what you go for. I have been contemplating setting it up for my new site, just haven’t got round to it yet…

JagaLaw

I take it no one’s got any suggestions?

Yes, I have an opinion.

Get a minimum 50% off with the “haveadreamyday” promo code, and… have a dreamy day. Original, no?