Awstats problem

Hi, ive got a problem with Awstats - i installed it using the Skybly`s installation guide, but it always shows this - Never updated (See ‘Build/Update’ on awstats_setup.html page) and doesnt show any statistics. can anyone help - should i reinstall or wait for it to update automatically? i got several messages from crontab saying that the update process is in progress but still no changes in stat. pls help.

While I can’t help with your problem too much as I’m only new to using AWStats myself, try having a read of this wiki entry for help with installing AWStats.

I used the above instructions to install AWStats without issue.

Web Hosting Reviews | Shonky’s Blog | Hot Product Directory

I had a similar problem - I found out that it was outputting my stat results to my /home/user directory instead of the /home/user/ directory. It only did this when run via the crontab, it runs fine if I just run the command from the shell prompt. I have no idea why it does this, but I worked around it by adding:
mv /home/user/* /home/user/
to take place 2 minutes after the stats run. It basically just takes those files that were dumped into the wrong directory and 2 minutes later moves them where they’re supposed to be. shrug It gets the job done :slight_smile:

oh thanks a lot, wraith, i can now see this as well…will try to do what uve said…

but can u give the exact line which i should add to crontab to do this automatically? im not good with perl unfortunately…:slight_smile:

fuf…finally solved the problem which was actually a little different - instead of putting a correct logpath /home/yourusername/logs/ i put /home/yourusername/logs/ and thats why it didnt work =) anyway, tnx a lot for help guys.

on my previous hosting i had awstats preinstalled in the package and liked it so much, but as i see dreamhost is slightly lagging to preinstall it or make as a one-click install feature…

This is my stats update line plus my “fix” line.
Make sure to edit “user” and “” to make your paths correct. In my example, my awstats program is in the /home/user/awstats directory, and my statistics output is in /home/user/ If yours is different, be sure to change this.
Mine is set to run the stats update at Midnight, and move the files at 12:02am.
Also, I’ve added a bit at the end that stops it from emailing me every time it runs. If you would rather it email you, remove the "> /dev/null 2>&1"
The below code should be on TWO lines only. Otherwise will not work.

00 00 * * * perl /home/user/awstats/tools/ -update -awstatsprog=/home/user/awstats/cgi-bin/ -dir= /home/user/ > /dev/null 2>&1
02 00 * * * mv /home/user/* /home/user/