vi aws
$s3host ||= $ENV{S3_URL} || “”;

and by adding my key info to.
vi ~/.awssecret

I can issue commands correctly,

~/Desktop$ perl ./aws ls
| Name | CreationDate |
| mybackups | 2012-09-14T22:28:18.000Z |

So that was good, however I wanted to use this tool to upload a large backup file:

~/Desktop$ perl ./aws put mybackups/40Gig.file /Volumes/FILES/40Gig.file
400 Bad Request
| Code |
| EntityTooLarge |

Is there a maximum file size limit ?
Or should I be issuing multipart put somehow?

According to our overview

“Objects are limited to 10TBs, but will need to be uploaded in 5GB chunks.”

So yes, that’s probably what you’re running into.

That’s correct, you’ll want to use multipart upload. Unfortunately, I’m not sure if this is supported in the aws command line tool you’re using.

I know boto includes a command line utility called s3multiput. It doesn’t support specifying a host though. I hacked the s3multiput script to include an endpoint option. Just include -e or --endpoint

I’ll warn you now that I’m no developer! If you’re willing to try it out, I’ve put a copy of it here - modified s3multiput.

thanks for the responses guys.
I’ll give s3multiput a try (if I can ever get boto to work with my version of python…)

k got those python dependencies resolved. :slight_smile:

Tried a couple small files with your modified s3multiput script and they worked fine. Thanks!
Trying the large 40gig file now.
It says its copying but there is no progress meter and I assume this could take a couple days to complete.

This was the command I used:
python s3multiput -e -a accesidhere -s secretkeyhere -b mybackups /Volumes/FILES/40gig.file

All you see is:
Copying /Volumes/FILES/40gig.file to mybackups/Volumes/FILES/40gig.file

Anybody know if it will resume the put where it left off if the connection is interrupted and I reissue the command again?
I doubt I’ll be able to guarantee an uninterrupted connection for large files like this.

Gonna give s3fs a try with rsync next.

The file is chunked into pieces and is only a “success” if all the pieces make it and the pieces are assembled back together. I think partial uploads are just considered failed.