Automattic's Sidebar Widget Not Showing Up

apps

Blessings and Peace:

I’m volunteering my time and skills here in New Orleans,
and as part of that work would like to develop some keen blogmastering skills. My aim is to help small non-profits, and merchants, who were adversely affected by Katrina (and the aftermath).

Would greatly appreciate some mentoring by some cutting edge WordPress gurus (smile).

My first challenge is:
I have installed Automattic’s Sidebar Widget plug-in; explicitly following the instructions on their website. I was sure to activate the plug-in, via the DH Control Panel. The result was to be a Sidebar Widget icon in the Presentation panel.
This did not happen.

Can anyone assist?

In Service of THE ONENESS,
Rafiki “The Digital Doctor” Cai

“The ONENESS of the ALLNESS is the Key that we seek. When will we ALL catch on?”

Hi,
Can you confirm that you are using a ‘sidebar’ enabled theme?

Where did you aquire the sidebar widget from as there was an issue with the earlier version, the download package should now have been fixed.

I know my way around WP as I have been developing http://skratchpad.org which is a ‘spin off’ of WP

Blessings and Peace:

Thanks for your reply to my post. I’m using the Kubrick Default template, which according to Automattix’s website should be compatible.

I downloaded the widget directly from Automattix’s website,
just recently (about the day of my posting or so).

I’ll take a look at skratchpad.org. Perhaps you should approach Dreamhost, about becoming one of their one click installations. Being able to one click install WP was the primary reason I came to Dreamhost, in the first place.

“The ONENESS of the ALLNESS is the Key that we seek. When will we ALL catch on?”

I have not tried to install WP on here yet, I wouldn’t use the 1 click install either (but that’s my preference)

When you say the sidebar is not showing up do you mean the menu?

Nothing that the sidebar widget was supposed
to install/display is showing.

Hi,
Do you have a functions.php file for the ‘Kubrick Theme’?

If so…Here is an example of functions.php for a theme that does not yet have such a
file (no blank lines at the beginning or end of the file, please):

<?php if ( function_exists('register_sidebar') ) register_sidebar(); ?>
If you have not already then you may find this readme useful (not 100% sure if it’s not distributed with the widgets plugin)

If needed I can supply you a default theme ready modified.

Blessings and Peace:

I am rushing off to a conference at the moment, but wanted
to respond- at least in part-to your posting.

I would appreciate a) the Kubrick theme you speak of and b) perhaps being a beta (alpha) user/tester of the app that you’re developing.

My direct email address is rcai@dfinstitute.org Mailing direct may speed up our dialogue. I’ll email you around lunch time, with a less rushed response.

Here’ the URL of the blog that I’ve been speaking of.
Later this evening, I’m going to look at skratchpad.org.

Is it possible to load the entire skratchpad engine on a laptop, and thus be able to learn its in’s and out’s while offline? Could post be created this way, and then uploaded when the author goes online. For example, with long train/airplane rides that have no Internet access, this would be ideal. Or would this require running a webserver on the same box?

I eagerly look forward to delving into skratchpad, but I just happen to be at a grantwriting conference right now (through til Wednesday, with travel all day on Thursday). Consequently, I’m stealing little snippets of conversation with you; since I left my USB driven NIC device at home (and can’t get online in my hotel room).

I appreciate your dialogue though.

rcai@dfinstitute.org

Blessings and Peace:

Ed, last week you and I exchanged a number of posts; around a sidebar installation that I was struggling with (http://www.webelieveinlove.net)

Well, I’ve installed SkratchPad (http://www.rafikicai.com), and am now ready to move forward in becoming a Skratch-master (smile).

Two things right off:

1. Is there a sidebar widget plug-in for Skratchpad?

2. Is there a ‘template editor’ for Skratchpad? I’d like to modify the header graphic, to include a photocollage in it.

Also, is there a direct email for you; and a forum dedicated exclusively to the discussion of Skratchpad?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ed:

I’ve just looked more closely at Skratchpad, and realize that a couple of my questions either were answered, or need to be fine tuned.

1. I see that you currently don’t have a separate forum for Skratchpad.

2. I need either a WYSIWIG Template Editor, or a step by step instruction on how to modify a header in a template.

3. I remember reading somewhere on Skratchpad, that the Comment feature is turned off by default. From the looks of my front page (http://www.rafikicai.com , that seems to be the case. How do I enable Comments?

4. The question about the Sidebar Widget still holds. I’d like to see a calendar in my sidebar, as well as my ability to easily insert certain graphical elements, and a field for Feedburner.

Thanks.

Hi,
Glad you have been able to install it, I have a 0.2.2-alpha4 version which includes the sidebar widgets and additional plugins eg Lightbox, simply not gotten around to releasing via SourceForge.

Now to answer your questions…

1 - the template’s can easily be edited via the ‘presentation’ panel if you make the folder and files writeable. However if you look into the ‘default’ folder you’ll see a folder called ‘header-images’ if you place your header images in here (use the current as a size guide) you’ll get a new image on each releoad of the page.

2 - the widgets plugin works in the latest version which I’ll send to you before I release it (please remember this is BETA) and there is NO upgrade path, so you’ll need to export your current blog entries.

As for a thread for SkratchPad there is nothing here as it’s still a very small project if you want to follow the progress you’d be better to get a SourceForge account and ‘monitor’ the project you can then get an e-mail every time I release a new version.

If you PM me your e-mail I’ll get you this copy sent over (approx 3.5Mb)

As for enabling comments you do that via the admin panel ‘options’

http://skratchpad.org/support/resources/

Regards

Ed
apidev