Automatically create backups of home directory

apps

Hi!

Does anyone here know how I can automatically create backups of my entire home directory to an external FTP server (such as every day at 2 PM or something)? Is there a cronjob or anything of that sort that would be useful for me? Any ideas? In advance, thanks!

Hi Lenny!
Are you aware that DH offers automatic daily backups? Read about it here:
https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=2585&keyword=backup

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDPrices, options

Its always a good idea to have your own backups as well.

I personally use rsync as it cuts down drammatically on the bandwidth requirements.

I also have a cron job which dumps my mysql databases daily, and keeps the last 5 days. And these get included in the rsync.

A ‘dreamhost-specific’ tutorial on rsync could be a wonderful thing. I’ve looked at various rsync pages I could google up but they mostly scared me half to death.

I guess it would be too hard to make simple though. There are so many possible configurations - one domain, multiple domains, etc.

Hm, maybe a suggestion for a panel-based ‘rsync’ configurator for one-button (or cron) backup :slight_smile:

Chris C, what is the line for cronjob that I can use to make backups of the mySQL? Thanks!

Here is copy of the shell script that I use to dump my mysql databases via a cronjob

---- dump_databases.csh -------
#!/bin/bash -f
cd /home/ccannon/mysql_backup
stamp=date +%d%m%y
mkdir files/$stamp
mysqldump -u -p -h vzforumv2.virtualzoo.net vzforumv2 | gzip > files/$stamp/vzforumv2_mysql_$stamp.sql.gz
mysqldump -u -p -h vzwar.virtual-zoo.net vzwar | gzip > files/$stamp/vzwar_mysql_$stamp.sql.gz
mysqldump -u -p -h photos.nimanoo.net photos_nimanoo | gzip > files/$stamp/photos_nimanoo_mysql_$stamp.sql…gz
mysqldump -u -p -h llukforum.liveleagueuk.com llukforum | gzip > files/$stamp/llukforum_forums_mysql_$stamp.sql.gz
\rm -rf find . -ctime +5 -name \* -type d

This simple shell script, dumps the mysql databases with unique names dependant on the date. And removes all files older than 5 days olds. This prevents the directory filling up if you forget about the cron job.

How do I run that script? I changed what needs to be changed for it to work on my site, and the following error occurs:

[yoda]$ /home/omlettex/db.csh
bash: /home/omlettex/db.csh: /bin/bash: bad interpreter: Permission denied

DreamHost.com webhosting

You can either use the source command

source db.csh

Or you need to change the permissions on the script to make it executable

chmod u+x db.csh

Will change the such that the user (you) will have executable permissions on the file.

[yoda]$ /home/omlettex/db.csh
: unrecognized option
Usage: /bin/bash [GNU long option] [option] …
/bin/bash [GNU long option] [option] script-file …
GNU long options:
–debug
–dump-po-strings
–dump-strings
–help
–init-file
–login
–noediting
–noprofile
–norc
–posix
–rcfile
–restricted
–verbose
–version
–wordexp
Shell options:
-irsD or -c command or -O shopt_option (invocation only)
-abefhkmnptuvxBCHP or -o option

Then if I try source db.csh

[yoda]$ source db.csh
: No such file or directorysqlbackup
mkdir: cannot create directory `files/230105\r\r’: No such file or directory
: No such file or directory

Inside the db.csh file, however, the line reads:
cd /home/omlettex/mysqlbackup

And this folder exists.

EDIT: And now when I use source db.csh, it ends up trying to remove a bunch of files and some are deleted but most get access denied errors.