Automatic Renewal

I am looking to register a basic dreamhost account for one year. However, I am worried about being stuck with a large bill if I forget to cancel before the year is up. The relevent portion of the terms of service, which I pasted below, were unclear to me as to whether I’d be given a chance to get my money back if I remember to cancel in time. Can anyone clarify this policy?

At the end of the contract term, the contract will automatically renew for successive thirty (30) day periods (or three (3) or six (6) or twelve (12) or twenty-four (24) month periods, depending on length of pre-payment) indefinitely until canceled in writing or via the web panel. After the first 97 days a canceled account will be canceled before the next payment is due and no more billing will occur nor will any payment be refunded, even for unused portions.

Dreamhost will send you a notice that your account is scheduled to be re-billed…or, you could put it on/in your calendar (or tie a string around your finger, or etc. :wink: )

Now I’m confused! If you “remember to cancel in time”, this whole issue is moot, as you won’t have incurred any other obligation.

Do you have a specific question about the quoted Terms of Service?

–rlparker

Were you going to cancel at the end of the year or did you just want to switch to monthly billing or something like that?

If you are just signing up with a $97 off code to get a year of hosting for $22.40 and intend to cancel at the end of that year, I don’t want you to get stuck so I also want to make sure you know that you can’t move your domain hosting from one promotional account to another. This is to prevent people from getting permanent $22.40 per year hosting.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

You can actually refuse to authorise Dreamhost to bill your card if you so choose, so renewal would not be automatic.

Promo Code: [color=#CC0000]FREEZAP[/color] - Save $50 on any plan and gain a free lifetime unique IP! Or… Save $97 on yearly plans with [color=#CC0000]DREAMZAP[/color].

You can canel auto-renew in DH panel --> Bill --> Manage Account --> Make Payment I think au-rebill is only for credit card payment.

There is no doubt that DH will definately refund if the account is less than 97 days old.

However, you may want to read DH’s TOS carefully.

Save $97 with promo code: [color=#CC0000]97YES Sign Up NOW[/color]

It is worth noting that the 97 day money-back guarantee only applies if you paid by credit-card or Google Checkout.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)