Authorization Required Error


#1

I moved the web directory of one of my sub-domains, and now when I try to visit the site, I get a “401 Authorization Required”. I don’t have HTA access enabled on that domain or the parent domain. Does anyone know why this might be happening and how to fix it?

Thank you


#2

Did you update the Fully Hosted settings to point to the new directory? What’s the URL of your site? And what’s actually in there? Some installations do have a .htaccess, or some .php mechanism that’s directory dependent.

-Scott


#3

I used the Fully Hosted settings to point the sub-domain tot he new directory. The new sub-domain doesn’t have any files in nit yet, and the one I moved only has a couple of PHP files and a couple of images.


#4

So you’re trying to move the ‘esme’ subdomain over to the ‘bin’ subdomain? I’m not getting a 401 with either one.

If so, you can create a New Fully Hosted Subdomain, and play the rename game:

  1. Create ‘bin’ fully hosted subdomain (panel will create this folder)
  2. Rename bin.yourdomain.com oldbin.yourdomain.com
  3. Rename esme.yourdomain.com bin.yourdomain.com
  4. mkdir esme.yourdomain.com (now your original subdomain will be empty)

I find this to be a cleaner solution than renaming (sub)domain folders. This way the folder naming conventions remain consistent.

-Scott


#5

Hi Scott,

I found the issue. There was a hidden htaccess and htpasswd in the parent domain. FileZilla didn’t show those files. I used the windows ftp and deleted the files, and everything is working now.

Thanks for the help though.