Assing URL to home fixed IP

Hi guys,

sorry if this is a dumb question but I’m hoping someone can help.

I have a QNAP network attached storage. My ISP gives me a fixed external IP and I can easily access my NAS from the web.

I just bought a domain and I want to be able to reach my NAS from the URL. Problem is I can’t see how to tie my fixed IP to the domain name.

I can see how I would forward the domain to the IP (I think), but I want the URL in the browser to stay as the domain name not the IP address.

Any help would be great!

Add an A record for something like nas.example.com

If you have a website here already, then you have DNS. Go to Domains -> Manage Domains and click DNS next to your domain. Scroll down to Add Custom DNS and type in nas.example.com, leave it as an A record, and give it a value of its IP address.

-Scott

Hi sdayman - thanks for the quick reply.

To access the NAs (rather than the router) i need to append a port (:1111 for example) to the IP.

Unfortunately DH gives me the error message:
‘Invalid: IP address can only have numbers!’

any ideas how i can get around this?

Update: ok - so i can just use my fixed ip and append :port to the URL. But is there any way I can get around having to use the port? Can I set up subdomains to point to various ports?

[quote]Unfortunately DH gives me the error message:
‘Invalid: IP address can only have numbers!’

any ideas how i can get around this?[/quote]
The port is specified in the application making the connection and doesn’t have to do with DNS.In other words, your ISP is giving you an IP address for the router, and it’s the job of the router to forward connections on particular ports to machines on your LAN.

:cool: openvein.org -//-

Hi Atropos7.
We just crossed posts! :slight_smile: I just edited my post above!

I’ve set up port forwarding on the router and am trying to get around using the port in the url.

Any ideas?

It can’t be done. I don’t think you realize that in a URL, the port is specified by the scheme. For example, and HTTP connection defaults to port 80, HTTPS to port 443, FTP to port 21, etc and you override the defaults by explicitly specifying the port.

So in order to do what you want, you will have to do some hacking to get your computer to think “nas://hostname/” means to connect to port 1111 at hostname. Your barking up the wrong tree thinking you can do so using DNS.

ok, thanks for the info. You’re right i didn’t understand the port is specified by the scheme.

Out of interest, what sort of hacking would be required?

OS / Networking Application development type hacking.

See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/389204/how-do-i-create-my-own-url-protocol-e-g-so for example.