I recently installed the latest version of aspell and Spellerpages so that I could interface spell checking with movable type in entry posting and comment posting. I figured I would post what I did so that others on dreamhost might be able to do the same more easly.
I suppose that if you want, you should be able to copy and paste the two sections of these intructions into sepearte files and then excuite them via a shell script so you don't have to copy and paste each line individually. Ie. you'd take everyting till the commented lines about setting up your path, into the first file, and everything following the path instructions into a seconed file. Then you'd excute thoes by typing "bash file" Please correct me if I'm wrong about this part.
so here's what I did:
tar -xvzf aspell-0.60.3.tar.gz
tar -xvjf aspell6-en-6.0-0.tar.bz2
Need to update the path now
add the following to the end of the file - like the 4th line
press ctrl and O to write out the file. press enter to keep the same file name
and then press ctrl and X to exit nano.
At this point you should be able to run aspell properly from the command line (assuming there were no errors). "aspell -v" should tell you that you have the new version 6 and not 3 that DH has be default.
as far as speller pages goes, you'll have to download it from:
decompress and upload the speller directory into your web-accessible area.
if you don't have a program installed on your computer that can decompress the tar.gz just download the flie to your computer, and then upload it to your home directory. Then run "tar -xvzf spellerpages-0.5.1.tar.gz" next cd into the new directory you just created. and type "mv speller/ /home/UserName/Domain.com/path/to/some/dir" obviously updating the destination with the correct details...
Now you need to edit the spellchecker.php file in /speller/server-scripts/ directory. On the 8th line it sets the language to use with aspell, but for some reason they think they still need to force utf 8 unicoding on it. change that line to look like:
$aspell_opts = "-a --lang=$lang";
You can now make sure everything is working by going to www.yourdomain.com/parth/to/speller/ and typing in some incorrectly spelled wrds and run the spel check.
Hopefully I'll get this posted into the wiki before long, but as of right now I'm still confiused about how to use it. Ah well.