Are we up?

Is anyone having problems right now?

NONE of my sites (or even linked graphics from my sites) are accessible right now.

The webpanel doesn’t say I’m down, but my browser says otherwise.

my webmail isnt working, but my sites are [thankfully] online…i must’ve jinxed the system since just yesterday i was telling somehow how i love dreamhost because it’s so stable. AHAHAH…sahwreee…

My site was down for a brief period half hour ago. It’s back up now. I don’t think I lost any clients over it. :slight_smile:

There were a couple of recent problems, one was with the machine “bitters”, which has been failed over to a new machine, and the other was with one of our central filers, which probably affected more customers.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

For those who don’t know, bitters is the teacher in “invader zim” - we’ve been naming our new machines after invader zim characters. She’s not a very nice person. We generally have a policy against using “negative” names for machines, because for some reason they tend to have more problems. I swear… they really do! I guess this is what we get for violating this policy.

Imagine how I feel being hosted on a machine called ‘fud’ – the marketdroid acronym for Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. Can I get a ‘tainted name’ discount? :slight_smile:

Well if it really bugs you, you can always request to be moved… of course, we might move you to something worse :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t know if I should tell this story, but we actually did have a customer (hope they’re not on this forum) who wrote in a couple years back because she was very upset that her server was named “slimy”.

Needless to say, we spent the rest of the afternoon coming up with (real and hypothetical) servers to move her to.

To expand on servers with bad names misbehaving… maybe it’s coincidence, but some of our worst behaved servers have had names like “jezebel” (old skool DH customers might remember this one; I miss her, but the name is totally haunted), vader, spite, malice…

This is one reason why we probably won’t ever have servers named after the 7 endless (from Sandman) - “destiny” and “dream” wouldn’t be too bad, but I would pity the customer that got assigned to “despair”, “delirium” or “destruction”.

Did this problem just rear it’s head on Harpo? I can’t access either of my subdomains by http, although ftp and telnet are working fine.

I was most excited to find out the machine I was hosted on was “bitters”. Don’t change a thing!