AOL/HOTMAIL users not receiving emails, do I need a VPN instead of shared hosting

Hi! I cant seem to send emails to AOL and HOTMAIL users. It works with GMAIL and YAHOO but not AOL or HOTMAIL for some reason. I have been searching for solutions for this problem for days and have finally given up. I read something that said AOL blocks shared hosting sites to prevent spam. Is this true? Is this my problem? If so, would upgrading to a VPN fix the problem? If I have to upgrade to a VPN will you guys help me switch my website over to it because I have never had a VPN and would have no idea what to do.

Please help!!! Thanks!!!

///////MY CODE/////////

[php]$mail = new PHPMailer();
$mail->IsSMTP();
$mail->CharSet = ‘UTF-8’;

$mail->Host = “mail.mindlounge.org”; // SMTP server example
$mail->SMTPDebug = 0; // enables SMTP debug information (for testing)
$mail->SMTPAuth = true; // enable SMTP authentication
$mail->Port = 587; // set the SMTP port for the GMAIL server
$mail->Username = "customerservice@mindlounge.org"; // SMTP account username example
$mail->Password = “6timechamps”;

$mail->From = “MindLounge.org customerservice@mindlounge.org”;
$mail->FromName = “MindLounge.org”;
$mail->AddAddress("mindlounge12@aol.com", “$fname $lname”);

//$mail->AddReplyTo("customerservice@mindlounge.org", “MindLounge.org”);

$mail->WordWrap = 50; // set word wrap to 50 characters
$mail->IsHTML(true); // set email format to HTML

$mail->Subject = “Confirmation Link”;
$mail->Body = "Thanks for joining MindLounge $fname $lname!

Here is your comfirmation link!

http://www.mindlounge.org/signup/confirmation.php?passkey=$confirm_code ";[/php]

You posted your email account password, change it immediatly.

Using SMTP as you are I don’t think the aol limitation should apply. Bottom line tho if you really want to solve this, move your email account to another host that specializes in mail. Leave your hosting at dreamhost and update that form to use SMTP at your new mail host.

haha oops thanks for letting me know I posted my password. Are there any free mail hosts?
[hr]

is hostgator any good? I was thinking of switching to them

I wouldn’t go with free. If you do get smtp access at a free mail host, every spammer on the planet will be using it as well and you will have the same problem.

I use this. Takes a little digging, but you can configure a separate outgoing address for your site to use via smtp. Actually there is alot of power under the hood there. The drawback is you need to configure entire domains mail there, and then pay per user. That’s not per mailbox tho. For example, you would pay for alex, betty, and charles to have login credentials, from there each can have there own inbox and folders, then you can add a separate shared mailbox that all 3 have access to, configure an outbound email for your site to use via smtp, configure an alias for president that goes to alex and a few more aliases if you need them…and so on, you can get as complex as your needs are. All that you still just pay for 3 users. If you only have one user that’s fine to… you can sill configure more than one inbound/outbound address.
[hr]

All shared hosts have mail issues, its a hot bed for outbound spam. Pay for shared hosting and use it for webhosting. Pay a business class email provider for business class email. There is a difference.
[hr]
If share hosting meets your web hosting needs, and you don’t need many email users, then paying for separate business class email plus shared hosting is still going to run you less per month than a VPS.

No support?

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem with a DEDICATED at Dreamhost.

Any explanation that I go is wrong, so it seems that the only way is to pay for another Email service ?

Any recommendation ?

Thanks.

No, there is little that either you can, if you stay with Dreamhost’s email, or DreamHost is willing to do. I am not saying that they don’t care. It would be crazy for them to not care. But, the fact remains is that all they say is “it’s AOL’s fault” or “It’s COMCAST’s fault”. Do you know what AOL says – “It’s DreamHost’s fault”. :slight_smile:

So, nothing gets done. You don’t have Email. Nothing is done. You still don’t have Email.

Oh, yes, they offer you unlimited number of email accounts at DreaHost. Does that help you?

I can only offer what we did.

We moved our email to a different provider and off DreamHost.

There are other email providers. GreatMail, Google and Outlook are the three that we looked at.

See above, I got pretty specific.

For 4 years I refused to pay for a second service. Thought about changing to other hosts, etc., so I could keep it all under one roof, found out pretty much anyone offering shared hostingFinally decided to try out the hosted Exchange solution I linked above. I’ve never looked back. I buy two users (my wife and I), have a complex configuration of mailboxes and inbound/outbound addresses across 4 domains. I think one of the things that prevents people from signing up for plans like these is they think the monthly fee per user buys ONE email box with ONE address, in reality you can keep the configuration to that simple, or make it as complex as you want. I even have it pulling the mail from my comcast and a legacy dreamhost email account, and the server notifies me anytime it has trouble checking email on either of those services.