Anyone sees storelive.com?

I know that there is the so-called DNS propagation thing; but unlike years ago, domain names are viewable across the globe in much shorter time now. However, I am not able to see storelive.com more than 30 hours after I set it up at DreamHost. This is one of those rare couple of instances out of setting up my 100 domain names over the past 18-24 years. May I ask does anyone of you see storelive.com on the web from your connection now? I have tried 3 different ISP connections (all from Canada though) with no avail; and I must tell you once again that this is really very rare. What gives? Thanks.

By the way, I have chatted (yes CHAT) with DreamHost support and they said everything is okay on their side.

nameslave.com: Buy and sell pre-owned domain names commission-free
nameslave.ca: Knows a thing or two about dot-ca
Moderator@DNForum.com/HostHideout.com

[quote]I have tried 3 different ISP connections (all from Canada though)
with no avail; and I must tell you once again that this is really
very rare. What gives? Thanks.

[/quote]

(2:30 AM Pacific Time, on 2003-05-06)

When I go to the domain, it redirects to the following URL:

http://www.clonecity.com/storelive/

This is from my home Earthlink DSL account.

It can and still sometimes takes up to 48 hours for a domain to propagate - it’s really a matter of luck more than anything, depending on your particular network locale (perhaps Will will come in here and explain the particulars).

Anyhow, if it doesn’t work for you after 48 hours, send support another note and we’ll take another look for you.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Great! Thanks, Jeff. Yes, it is temporarily configured to be redirected to that URL. I guess I’ll have to wait for a while then for luck to come to Toronto.

Oh, you DO stay up late. :slight_smile:

Same here, redirects to http://www.clonecity.com/storelive/. DNS updates have even reached Wales. Whatever next; we might have electricty soon! :slight_smile:

• wil

Thanks, wil. Finally see it here in Toronto: first at work, then at school and last at home (just a few hours ago). Hey, shouldn’t Toronto be closer than Wales to wherever that stores the DNS data?

Geography isn’t the issue (Wil’s joke aside). Changes of authoritative nameserver information are made by the servers authoritative for that TLD (in this case, the gtld-servers). The records given out by this server have a time to live (TTL) of 2 days. This means that other servers can cache information about who’s authoritative for your zone (domain) for up to two days. So it just depends on when the last time someone checked for that zone on your ISP’s nameserver was, the phase of the moon, etc. etc. Also, it often takes a little while for the update to hit the authoritative servers for the TLD as well… Once the change is made there, everyone should be seeing the site through us within 2 days.

Changes within your domain should take substantially shorter amounts of time to process, since we control the DNS for that, and the TTL is set to 2 or 3 hours generally. New records (rather than changes) should be visible 5 minutes after they update on our nameservers.