Anyone having problems with mail?

Not getting any. (Mail, that is.) Can’t log-in via webmail, and am not receiving test messages I send to myself. Is this system-wide?

Yep, response from support a few moments ago:

"There is a load issue on your machine that our admin team is currently looking into. We hope to have this resolved soon, if not already. We apologize for the delays and appreciate your patience.

If there is anything more we can help you with, please let us know and we will be more than happy to accommodate!"

Ah, thanks.

Good thing, since the dead web panel is preventing me from placing a trouble ticket.

If you are using spork then it appears to be dead right now, also the spam mail system is dead with SQL memory issues which could be connected or a different issue than just spork.

I’m having issues, but I think mine are caused by me turning off the spam filtering, which aparently deleted my mx records. So now email is getting rejected immediately instead of mail servers retrying for a few hours. sigh it’s a quick fix I hope they can do soon, I don’t like to think about all the lists that I may be getting booted off of because my emails are bouncing. I can still login to the mail server everywhere (jareth) but no new mail since the server can’t receive anything.

(edit)fwiw, the panel is working fine for me(/edit)

Todd Eddy
vrillusions.com

[quote]I think mine are caused by me turning off the spam filtering, which aparently deleted my mx records

[/quote]

Wow. Has Support confirmed?

nope, and it’s def still not set because I didn’t get any of the nightly notices I usually get. This is my first major issue in 3 years, so I’m not too upset or anything, just hope it gets fixed soon. Thought they would monitor the high priority support requests 24/7, but I’m guessing they were busy with fixing this mail server issue and the web site issues in another post (the needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few).

Todd Eddy
vrillusions.com

What suggests turning off JF was the cause of mx record loss, beyond temporal coincidence?

Nothing really. Just REALLY coincidental since I turned it off at about 4:30pm (EST) and noticed it around 8 or 9. And, like I said, I haven’t had any problems like this for a while. So who knows exactly what happened. And the fact it still isn’t in there leads me to beleive that it was just some temporary fluke that happened while other people were having mail issues.

Todd Eddy
vrillusions.com

I’d be truly alarmed to see that DH had implemeted JF on/off using mx record changing, since I’d thought/hoped that the problems with this JF implementation did at least end when one turned it off…

I can’t say for certain, but I thought I did see my MX records change to a different server when I first turned it on, which makes sense… Instead of having mail go directly to your server it goes to a spam filtering server that will mark the messages and such before sending them to your mail server. Which is why there’s a webmail2.dreamhost.com you have to go to check the spam messages. Again, that’s all what I’m assuming, I don’t know that for sure. Anyway, so when I turned it off, it would have modified the mx record so that it points back to my mail server instead of the server doing the filtering. That part somehow got messed up, MX records got deleted, and that’s where I’m at now.

Todd Eddy
vrillusions.com

[quote]I can’t say for certain, but I thought I did see my MX records change
to a different server when I first turned it on, which makes sense…

[/quote]

“Make sense”? Won’t it e.g. inflict a DNS propagation delay on the change?

[quote]Instead of having mail go directly to your server it goes to a spam filtering
server that will mark the messages and such before sending them to your
mail server. Which is why there’s a webmail2.dreamhost.com you have to go

[/quote]

Sorry, I don’t that the different webmail address has anything to do with the fact there is a different mail server for filtering.

[quote]Anyway, so when I turned it off, it would have modified the mx record so that
it points back to my mail server instead of the server doing the filtering. That
part somehow got messed up, MX records got deleted, and that’s where I’m at

[/quote]

Very disappointing. Since almost everything about JF except SA itself is a mess-up, I’d assumed it was not a DH in-house job, but if DH have let such rubbish workers loose on the mx records, god help us.

(btw, we really need a quote option or something :slight_smile: )

“Make sense”? Won’t it e.g. inflict a DNS propagation delay on the change?

[/quote]

Yep, it will. But (again this is what I THINK is happening) the new server basically just processes the mail, finds spam, whatever, and forwards it off to the actual mail server. So both the old mx records and the new ones will work. It’s just the ones that still use the old address will get past the filters until they update.

Sorry, I don’t that the different webmail address has anything to do with
the fact there is a different mail server for filtering.

[/quote]

I can check my mail at webmail.mydomain.com, but I can’t check for spam messages at webmail or webmail2.mydomain.com, which leaves me to beleive the messages are stored somewhere special that only webmail2.dreamhost.com can access. Sure that doesn’t have to be the same server as the one doing the filtering, it probably isn’t, but thought it was odd they couldn’t just enable the plugin for my domain. May be a squirrelmail thing, though

Very disappointing. Since almost everything about JF except SA itself is a
mess-up, I’d assumed it was not a DH in-house job, but if DH have let such
rubbish workers loose on the mx records, god help us.

[/quote]

Well, to paraphrase the response from support, the MX records can only be removed if I deactivate the mail service. And all I did was go to JF and click disable filter, verified it said enable filter (meaning it was off) and logged out. o well. It did work, but I seemed to have issues with getting the notices on spam it’s cought that I need to delete, and is the reason I dropped and just going to set up SA myself. That way it will work great with the current procmail filtering I’m doing now

Todd Eddy
vrillusions.com

[quote](btw, we really need a quote option or something :slight_smile: )

[/quote]

We certainly do! I guess it is an option of this forum software so perhaps the administrator coould just toggle it on? Please?

Yep, it will.

[/quote]

Then I suggest that doesn’t “make sense”. The declared DH panel delays of hours are already unacceptable - adding undclared ones of possibly days is very poor.

[quote]So both the old mx records and the new ones will work. It’s just the ones
that still use the old address will get past the filters until they update.

[/quote]

That is not my idea of “work”. If a user turns on Junk filtering, he reasonably expects it to be on, not half on, and not subject to the whims of external ISPs who do not respect TTL.

And more seriously if he turns it off, it is not acceptable for days to pass before it stops catching mail into JFs appalingly insecure quarantine.

I can check my mail at webmail.mydomain.com, but I can’t check for spam messages at webmail or >webmail2.mydomain.com, which leaves me to beleive the messages are stored somewhere special that >only webmail2.dreamhost.com can access.

[/quote]

Since ham is accessibe by both, I see no good reason spam should not be. I can’t believe webmail2 is running on each and every one of the JF mail servers, just to cut internal net usage.

Well, to paraphrase the response from support, the MX records
can only be removed if I deactivate the mail service.

[/quote]

That is very good to hear. And means DH should be able to confirm the JF turn-off is /not/ the cause of mx messup.

[quote]I seemed to have issues with getting the notices on spam
it’s cought that I need to delete,

[/quote]

You managed to get spam notices? How? The’ve been missing for weeks here.

[quote]going to set up SA myself.

[/quote]

I and I guess many other DHers would be really grateful for a proven install procedure for that.

[quote]but maybe you want something better…

[/quote]

Correct - the command to reply with a quote of the original as often seen on other fora. But using a quote indicator that leaves the text dividable on lines. [quote] need not apply.

[quote]You managed to get spam notices? How? The’ve been missing for weeks here.
I’ve been getting some lately :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Coincidentally today I got the first for ages. From “Junk Mail Watcher” noreply@dreamhost.com. I’m guessing this is what the “Junk Mail Settings” (sic) refers to as “quarantine reports” in which case the setting say I should get them on Weekdays. I’ve changed to Daily to see if this works any better.

[quote]Seems in the last few days Junkmail was purged and I see a new mailbox rather than the “click here for spam purgatory” or whatever link.

[/quote]

Same here. Shae though the new mailbox has all the bugs I hit in in the previous.

http://mike.steinbaugh.com/journal/2003/12/20/spamassassin-for-dreamhost-261-revision.html

[/quote]

Thanks - I’ll give it a go.

I thought I was checking my mail thru the webmail2 etc. and couldn’t find the spam either. Just reread the info in the Spam Filter part of the DH control panel… and found that you have to log in with your FULL EMAIL ADDRESS… including the @etc.com.

I had been using my plain ole log in stuff and couldn’t find it either. Useing the full address… poof! there it is.

kerch

I’ve been having quite a bit of trouble with email. Problems sending (off and on), problems accessing webmail, and serious problems with the spam filters.

Just was in my spam filters and there’s a whole bunch of stuff caught that shouldn’t have been. Stuff that was whitelisted. So, I checkmarked it and told it to move to inbox and whitelist again. It wouldn’t do it. Tried to just move to inbox alone. Won’t do that either. Tried to just delete the bad messages, and leave the good ones to deal with later. Can’t do that either.

Getting pages of the following message:

“Warning: unlink(/usr/local/junkmail/2005-03-22/spam-bb729c5ec4980e39ff854880fa6fc500-20050322-095827-04543-04.bsmtp): No such file or directory in /home/nate/ndn.NEW_MSG_TABLE/web/squirrelmail-1.4.2/plugins/amavisnewsql/amavisnewsql.class.php on line 390”

Were you able to log in to webmail2.dreamhost.com using less than your full email address?

yep, I could log in using just user name and password. But i could not see the spam folder. I only see it when I use the full email address to log in

kerch

Aha… then I’m not surprised you couldn’t see the spam folder, because I’ve seen evidence of some funny business in JFs linkage of the quarantine store with the addresses. It may be as simple as the fact that quarantine is not on a per mailbox basis as one would expect (and hope) but on a per address basis.

And I don’t like to think what that means for mail setups that have non-trivial mappings. Such as when I do a JF “Move to mailbox”, which mailbox?