Anyone have experience getting autodiscover to work with Dreamhost email accounts?

I’ve got a domain on which I’ll be supporting a few dozen users, all of whom are internet novices. If I mention IMAP or POP3, their eyes glaze over, then hand me their phone/laptop and tell me to do it for them.

I’d like to use autodiscover to make it as easy to configure Dreamhost-hosted mail service as it is for them to use other mail services. There aren’t many open source solutions available - I tried setting a few up but couldn’t get any of them to work.

Has anyone here tried this before? Is it even possible? (I know it is possible to create DNS records that point autodiscover service at other things like Office 365 - I’ve done just that for another domain I run.) But what’s the magic incantation I need to utter to get this working for Dreamhost servers?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

-Eric

“Autodiscover” is a Microsoft Exchange feature. It doesn’t work for other email, and it isn’t a standardized way of configuring email.

However, most email clients do smart guessing, and most email hosts at the very least use standardized ports, so there is a decent chance their email client will figure it out on their own. And you can test that right now. :slight_smile:

If you find a client that doesn’t guess DreamHost’s servers correctly, you ought to start a new thread so someone from DH can reach out to that client project.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.