I hadn’t yet tried this install, but did it just now to write up a quick howto. I tried the method in the links there, but they didn’t work for me. For example the sources.list and apt-get update just kept returning:
Err http://download.webmin.com sarge Release.gpg
Unable to connect to download.webmin.com:http
I instead followed the official directions for debian on Ubuntu 14.04 available here:
- Open port 10000 on security group, make sure security group is in use for your instance.
- Login to your instance, and “sudo su -” to become root.
- Set a root password as webmin seens to need this for login, so run “passwd”.
- Install some needed dependencies:
apt-get install perl libnet-ssleay-perl openssl libauthen-pam-perl libpam-runtime libio-pty-perl apt-show-versions python
- Run this to download the package:
Install it with:
dpkg --install webmin_1.791_all.deb
Go to the URL and login with username root and the password set in step 3.