Anyone familiar with Gallery?

software development

http://gallery.sourceforge.net

Has anyone been able to install this on DH with success? I have it running as php-cgi but it seems to constantly rewrite my .htaccess files and give a slew of errors.

Callie, I tried just last week with no success :frowning: I didn’t run it as php-cgi cause I forgot about that :wink: I gave up cause I had already spent too many hours on this and went on a mission to find a new gallery. Most are not too great but I found Image Arcadia on someones site which I love. Unfortunately their site has been down for a while but another site had it for download so I snagged it :slight_smile: I’m still working on mine a bit but you can go see it if you’d like and decide if maybe you can settle with it if you can’t get Gallery running. http://gallery.twotuxcats.com It’s so easy to set up!! Unfortunately their site is down but here is the url anyways http://www.imagearcadia.com/ If you’d like I can either email you the zip or I can upload it and you can get it from my space. Just let me know :slight_smile: You can email me at christy@twotuxcats.com My only concern is that there is just too many 777 chmods. I’m still learning about that stuff so I don’t know how safe that is. I have read a lot about 777 not being safe so if anyone has input I’d like to hear. There were alternate chmods but I got errors when I used them.

Christy

I’ve had Gallery running with no problems. You need to install their netpbm package (from their download page) to make it work on DH.

I’ve currently taken my Gallery down, though, partly due to inactivity, and partly because there’s apparently a serious security hole in it. I don’t know how much of a problem it is in a shared server environment, but I’m going to apply the security patches anyway, just to be sure! See the latest messages on gallery.sourceforge.net for the details.

Please forgive my ignorance. What does it really mean to ‘install’ netpbm? I downloaded a .tgz file, expanded it, and placed the resulting handful of files in /home/user/domain/bin/netpbm. I chmoded all files executable. The gallery script still complains NetPBM is missing.

Curiously, the preinstall checks show ‘part’ of NetPBM installed. It seems to need ver 9.9+ installed. But a ‘which’ and a ‘whereis’ turn up nothing.

Personally, I’d be very happy with Image Arcadia if it still existed and if it could do auto thumbnails. (The version I have hints of a mysterious plug-in, but I haven’t been able to google anything on it.) If anyone knows of a downloadable version of Image Arcadia that supports autogenerated thumbnails…well, um, buy you a beer?

The first thing you should do when downloading software is to read the README and INSTALL files. I checked for you, and INSTALL is in doc, so read doc/INSTALL.

Also looks like the configure script isn’t autoconf style, and is interactive, so you can probably just do:

./configure
make
make package
installnetpbm

or something similar.

You may need to do something in order to build it into your home directory instead of parts of the system to which you don’t have access.

[quote]But a ‘which’ and a ‘whereis’ turn up nothing.

[/quote]

Of course, cause they’re not in your $PATH.

[quote]Personally, I’d be very happy with Image Arcadia if it still existed and if it could do auto thumbnails.

[/quote]

This might be too simple for you, but I use this program:
http://quinton.free.fr/MagickThumbnail/
(mthumbnail) to make thumbnails. It uses ImageMagick (already installed) to make them.

The first thing you should do when downloading software is to read the README and INSTALL files. I checked for you, and INSTALL is in doc, so read doc/INSTALL.

I don’t follow you. There was no doc/install in the netpbm compiled binaries I downloaded from the gallery site. There was a readme and I read it.

[quote]But a ‘which’ and a ‘whereis’ turn up nothing.

[/quote]

Of course, cause they’re not in your $PATH.

What isn’t in my path? Which? Whereis? NetPBM?

[$ which which
/usr/bin/which
$ which whereis
/usr/bin/whereis

If I knew what should be in my path to find ‘them’, I guess I wouldn’t have been trying to find them with which and whereis.

This might be too simple for you, but I use this program:
http://quinton.free.fr/MagickThumbnail/
(mthumbnail) to make thumbnails. It uses ImageMagick (already installed) to make them.

Thanks for the pointer. My concern is getting thumbnails made automatically (or at least, without my intervention) for users placing images into a club gallery.

Thanks for your thoughts.

[quote]I don’t follow you. There was no doc/install in the netpbm compiled binaries I downloaded from the gallery site. There was a readme and I read it.

[/quote]

Ahh - I didn’t realize you downloaded binaries. In that case, you may just need to tell Gallery where they are. Are you sure the binaries work properly, and that they’re for the right platform? I’d personally build it from the source tarball…

[quote]If I knew what should be in my path to find ‘them’, I guess I wouldn’t have been trying to find them with which and whereis.

[/quote]

Well you already know where you put the binaries you installed. That doesn’t need to be in your $PATH for the software to work though, probably. It just needs to know where they are. I was just saying that ‘which’ and ‘whereis’ are only going to tell you about stuff that is in your $PATH; ie:

jazz% echo $PATH
/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/william/bin

(That’s oversimplifying a bit - some shells’ builtin which and whereis commands will expand aliases and other stuff, but I digress)

I’m glad you didn’t rise to my snarkiness. I was feeling defensive even though it was clear we were looking at two different things. Long day :frowning:

Anyhoo, the install script found the binaries after restarting from scratch. Onward ever upward…

I use a program called MiG (My Image Gallery). It’s at http://mig.sourceforge.net/ It generates the pages on the fly. The only downside is you have to create the thumbnails manually (I found a freeware program to do that, or there’s a free command-line program included). You can see mine at http://www.vrillusions.com/gallery/

Todd Eddy
vrillusions.com

OK. This is a bit confusing so I would appreciate if someone can help. I had already installed Gallery and got almost everything working before I found this post. Everything works except the upload.

I added the AddType php-cgi .php line to my .htaccess file but there are over 50 scripts in the program. I first tried running the scripts as is but I get the error below when I run the upload script.

Do I then have to rename all the scripts .pcgi?
Do I have to go into the database and change all the referenced links so each script knows the extension is now .pcgi instead of .php? Is it important to put the AddType php-cgi .php line at the beginning of the .htaccess file? Middle? Bottom? Do I have to add this line “As-is”? Are there any parameters I need to know?

Here is the error I am currently receiving with the php-cgi .php line:

Processing status…

• Adding COOLGUY.gif
    Warning: Unable to create ‘/home/mydomain.com/albums/album01/COOLGUY.gif’: Permission denied in /home/mydomain.com/gallery/platform/fs_unix.php on line 24

Warning: getimagesize: Unable to open ‘/home/mydomain.com/albums/album01/COOLGUY.gif’ for reading. in /home/mydomainpath.com/gallery/util.php on line 473

Please advise. Thanks!