Am i get unlimited mysql storage?

Hi guys, i have with dreamhost since 2006
but i still not sure about this things :

in http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html page its says we have MySQL 5 Databases = Unlimited

its mean i get unlimited mysql storage or just unlimited mysql account?

i need unlimited storage to host files (the data can be stored as file or mysql), or cheap additional storage in dreamhost, its says $1 per 10MB additional storage (whoa its doesn’t make sense to pay for that price)

thank you, please share your knowledge, i think this is useful for all of us

Unlimited databases means you can have as many databases as you want. That’s not the same as unlimited storage.

Then you’ll have to buy every data center on the planet. When those fill up, start buying up neighborhoods and leveling them to build more data centers. Eventually though, once you have flooded planet Earth with your endless supply of files, you’ll have to expand to other planets.

:stuck_out_tongue:

:stuck_out_tongue: Maximum savings promo code: MaxSavingsAtDH

hmm so its not unlimited storage, i pay $200/month for private server just for 350Gb, i just hope i can get bigger storage

there are some hosting company offer unlimited storage,

some of them are

bluehost ( http://www.bluehostreview.org/bluehost-hosting-offering-unlimited-storage-space/ )

masterwebnet (http://us.masterwebnet.com/layanan_harga_hosting_platinum.html )

others search in google http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enID287ID287&q=hosting unlimited storage

… and yet you could use more storage space here than you could ever use at those places.

You need to start reading TOS pages instead of advertisements. Otherwise, you’ll soon start believing things like hosts that have 99.9% uptime SLAs have true 99.9% actual uptime. :stuck_out_tongue:

Every single host, without exception, has limits. The first host you list as unlimited would cut you off WAY before Dreamhost would. That’s probably the most complained about host when it comes to low CPU limits.

You’re overestimating your needs anyway. There’s not a single site on the planet with a need for unlimited diskspace… do you truly believe you have the first?

If your site is anywhere near that league, then you should be making millions of dollars per day–and buying a few data centers should be no problem for you, just like it’s not for companies like Google that have actual needs for a lot (but not unlimited) space.

Don’t store files (BLOBs) in an SQL server. Seriously. Not only will you take a huge performance hit, but you’ll very likely lose all your data at some stage and it will be absolutely irretreivable.

What is the reason to even consider it?

As for other hosts: Been there, done that. The 1st one in particular is a shark.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

So what should i do guys, i will reach the limit 350Gb not far away again

its crazy to pay $1 per 10MB for additional storage if i had reach the limit

I can’t think of anything that should be taking up so much space, and expanding so rapidly, that it wouldn’t be generating more than enough revenue to cover the cost of expansion.

If something can’t cut it here, I don’t think you’ll ever find another shared host that will give you nearly this much. A lot advertise it but not all of them have the money and hardware to back it up.

If it can’t be contained, you’ll either have to spread out over several hosts, or start cramming big hard drives into dedicated servers as needed.

What type of site (or sites) are you running that would run up the disk space like that?

If you really have a real need for unlimited disk space and don’t have the money to pay for enterprise storage, I’d recommend colocation hosting - or it’s ultra-cheap version, home hosting. Colocation hosting is where your host provides rack space, power, and bandwidth. OTOH, I think you can end up paying a lot of money for bandwidth in colo hosting.

One option that may intrigue you is colocation hosting for mac mini’s. For some reason, rates seem to be pretty darned low for these - perhaps because of the low power and cooling requirements - I could imagine they might benefit from a common DC power supply. At any rate, you might still find this to be untenable because you pay market rates for bandwidth.

Really your best option may be hosting at home or at your business location.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

I agree. If your internet connection at home/office is capable of uploading at a decent speed I’d be inclined to have a script work out which files aren’t downloaded as often as others and dump those onto ‘secondary’ storage (ie. home PC with a large HDD in it). This way the popular files will benefit from the speed of Dreamhost and the less popular content is still available but doesn’t affect your quota at DH.

Considering the ammount of money you’re spending, a decent secondary Internet connection at home/office with a fixed IP might be well worth investing in - and would be tax deductible if it’s usage can be shown to be for business purposes.

cat /dev/urandom >.< largest_file_of_all_time

You can’t redirect stdout to a directory like that. :stuck_out_tongue:

its filehosting site and forum

so i need a lot storage

[quote]its filehosting site and forum

so i need a lot storage[/quote]

To clarify, you need all this storage on a SQL server, or a web server?

As sXi pointed out, hopefully not in the database server. Good lord, why would you do such a thing. That’s like trying to store a winter’s worth of acorns in your mouth instead of your God-given pockets. My hosting is up to 650 Gigs of data, and I honestly don’t even have that much data on my desktop computer.

And as other have pointed out numerous times, if your hosting needs are demanding, you’d better be making enough money to warrant such effort and needs and can pay for that level of hosting.

-Scott

Wait, you are telling me I can’t use cat smileys to redirect output? Some information is so powerful that I would not want it to fall into the wrong hands.

That’s a cat smiley? What a freaky cat.

-Scott

[quote]To clarify, you need all this storage on a SQL server, or a web server?

As sXi pointed out, hopefully not in the database server. Good lord, why would you do such a thing. That’s like trying to store a winter’s worth of acorns in your mouth instead of your God-given pockets. My hosting is up to 650 Gigs of data, and I honestly don’t even have that much data on my desktop computer.

And as other have pointed out numerous times, if your hosting needs are demanding, you’d better be making enough money to warrant such effort and needs and can pay for that level of hosting.

-Scott

[/quote]

file stored in web server

yeah look at this filehosting stats, this is not my website, but see how much they need storage www.indowebster.com/topup.php

That’s a lot of space. Just that top 10 list is several Terabytes. This isn’t the place for that.

-Scott

If you plan to expand to that level, your talking several file servers alone, not including multiple load balanced web servers and at least 1 dedicated sql server. Just the top 20 alone is almost 6 terabytes of data. Just to give you a rough idea, i priced it at 2 places. the first prices a basic file server with 4tb storage at 389/mth with a core 2 duo and 2gb ram. youd need at least 2 for just the top 20 which would leave 2tb left. add in a mirrored raid setup and you would need 3 for the top 20. assume a mirrored raid and a minimum of 20tb storage, youd need 10 servers for that at 389/mth. id recommend doing a colo on a 10-20mbit line for that with your own home built servers. the second place will only allow 2 1tb drives and thats 359/mth for the same rough setup. bandwidth is another issue as most offer 100mbit lines for burst abilities but only 2tb of bw/mth.

assume the first host, 10 servers, 389/mth, 3899/mth overall, just file servers. adding an extra 33tb/bw/mth is 1800, so thats 5700. that might just barely clear your needs for file serving if you plan to be that big. place in 2 or 4 web server, 1 sql server, load balancing, assume 2 web servers at the next level of processing power with some extra ram (q6600, 4g ram, 250gb hddx2 for raid), 259/mth. do the same for a sql, another 259/mth, ignoring cost of load balancing for now, your at almost 6500/mth just to run a basic version.

figure if you do a full rack of servers, its 1350/mth, plus bandwidth, 1800, so 3100. build your own servers at 2k/ea (just an example), 10 file servers, 2 web, load balancer, sql, 14 servers, 31100 upfront cost. then 3100/mth after. (plus a switch, a nice cisco maybe) but all in all, thats 3400/mth saved, in 11 months, thats 37400 saved, so you end up saving yourself a little money in a year.

for colocation, another place lists 1475 for a full rack, they only allow you to upgrade to a 10mbit line, totals 1975. but you only get 3tb for a whole month. youd need more. so they’d probably quote out more then the other place if they did 33tb, about a 100mbit.

But also, look around, those are 2 larger providers. A local one to me is Calpop, they have a full cabinet at 899, plus 1000 for a 100mbit unmetered. so 1899, plus 10 ips is 1998. so less then the first, and less then the second if they offered 100mbit.

go colo, not shared or dedicated. in terms of cost effectiveness, you need the most bang for your buck. you fall into a disadvantage with colo. chances are high that its unmanaged, you and you alone are responsible for it.

consider this as well, one bad file that is reported to the host, they locate it, they disable your account and chances are (shared, dedi or colo), no refund. so doing a file sharing site is usually a bad idea if your not going to have at least 20 full time site admins checking files as they come in.

MYSQL db space should count as your hosting storage space

Web Hosting Reviews
Go Daddy Coupons and Promo Codes

DB space is practically irrelevant considering the massive storage allowance we get here. The only way to pack it would be to store BLOBs - and that’d slow the whole shooting match down so quickly you’d be required to either rethink your method, move to PS and rethink your method, or give up.