Allowed?

I was wondering if DreamHost would have anything against me hosting rainbow tables.

They can’t be copyrighted since anyone can make them.
Thanks

I think it really depends on what purpose the ‘Rainbow Tables’ served. You might run into problems if the primary purpose of the tables was to disguise the distribution of files where the copyright was questionable.

Normally, you can host just about any content on DreamHost, just as long as that content is legal in the United States. I am no lawyer, but it seems to me that certain uses of ‘Rainbow Tables’ may fall foul of the DMCA or similar legislation.

Edit: As with other questions along these lines, I think your best option would be to contact DreamHost (via the contact form linked below) outlining exactly what you intend to host and obtaining an authoritive answer from them as to whether it would be allowed under their TOS.

http://www.dreamhost.com/contact.cgi

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

If it isn’t in the TOS, forum members can only give you an opinion. To have a definitive answer always contact the support team. Only they can assure you…
Some staff members read posts here, but you will get a quicker reply by contacting them directly as Mark said.

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

what are these rainbow_tables used for? as best as I can make out from wikipedia is they are somehow used to crack passwords?

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)

They cant be covered in the dmca. their not copyrighted at all.

As I said, I am not a lawyer. However, whether the tables themselves are subject to copyright could be irrelevant. To quote the wikipedia article on the DMCA;

[color=#0000CC]“The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is a United States copyright law which criminalizes production and dissemination of technology whose primary purpose is to circumvent measures taken to protect copyright, not merely infringement of copyright itself”[/color]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )