Finally getting a chance to try this and it's failing to connect to the DB... Here's what I've done:
1) copied the entire contents of the site (WordPress is installed at the public root) to ~/Sites/mySite/
2) modified the local version of wp-config to include:
define('WP_DEBUG', true); // enable debugging mode
When I try to hit http://localhost/~myUserName/mySite/ in a browser, I get the WordPress DB connection error screen:
Error establishing a database connection
This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at mysql-1.myHostName.com. This could mean your host's database server is down.
- Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
- Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
- Are you sure that the database server is running?
I haven't changed the DB_HOST value:
Do I need to change that to get it working? The production site is still running fine, so I know the db server isn't down. I can successfully ping mysql-1.myHostName.com from Terminal.