AFP Problems?

I’m not sure how “officially” AFP is supported, but I figured I’d ask if any other Mac geeks are able to successfully use AFP. I can mount my share fine, but I can’t seem to write anything. From a terminal, when I try to create a new file, I get an “invalid argument” error. If I try to create a file from the Finder (e.g. copying a file) I get “Error -50”. I didn’t find anything about this in my forum search so I figured I’d ask here. Thanks for any and all help.

If you look at the bottom of your Finder mount… does it say Zero KB available? If so the AFP share is out of space. This does not mean the whole server is, just how much space was alotted to share with Netatalk/AFP, and probably listed in it’s config file. I had been using it for quite some time on a number of my accounts (and still do) but this happed to my MAIN server. They (support) have fixed problems related to AFP before… but not for this case… I fear it has to do with the person you get on tech support- some will go ahead and deal with the issue, some will just pull the ‘unsupported’ service, cop out sentence. A real bummer as this is an incredibly useful service. It was the only way I could use a shared Quickbooks file with my partners. Now I may have to take a drastic step… after being jerked around, I am thinking of moving myself and my 60 + clients to a rackspace server. Maybe not though, I love most of Dreamhost. I love the sometimes cutting edge services they offer, I hate it, when they cannot get it together, like in this case (Not that AFP is cutting edge…) Now subversion and Trac ,and collab… well let’s hope the best for these…

Artist, Scholar, Gentleman … Technophile

Actually, this problem went away for me right after upgrading to OS X 10.4.3. I don’t know if the two events are/were related, but I haven’t had any AFP problems since updating to 10.4.3.

I’m quite glad for you…

For me my 5 other servers contain plenty of space, way up there in ‘gigabyte land’, however my one plan, (unfortunately, my oldest and central plan) sits on a server, or server group named dib, and AFP shows out of space, and no matter how many files I destroy to make room, it still remains out of space on AFP… I cannot write to it, or copy to it, or open files on it… but I can on all my other servers, which, ironically, I do not need AFP on!

Bummer.
Thanks for the reply though, it really is cool that this is ‘sort of’ available.

PS. These are the last support responses I recieved from Dreamhost staff in order- old to new (thought this would help people in the forum with similar problems.):
October 26th, 05 -Hello,
I have been personally working on getting afp / netatalk working again. The package that comes with Debian Sarge is broken and I have been looking into ways of getting it working again with no luck. I apologize for the trouble and there is no ETA on when or if this will be available again. Sorry I could not be of more help at this time.
Thanks!
Jordan
(Note from me, Mat: Notice, Jordan did not give me the “unsupported” line…)

SOMETIME AFTER THIS THE MOUNTING PROBLEM WAS FIXED!!! —THANK YOU!!!

December 9th, 2005-Then I complained originally about the lack of space on one server via AFP (which I guess Jordan, or Dallas were off duty…)
AFP/Netatalk shows zero kb space avaiable when mounted. I know this service is not officially supported, and I will continue to vote for
it…
I tried top delete files to clear space, but no good. Probably a
configuration issue. I mount objectivea.com home directory in OS X and it says Zero KB available at bottom of Finder window.
My other servers AFP/Netatalk fine with plenty of space showing.
(I am still trying to deal with my mail issues… as far as clearing
space wisely -see previous trouble tickets.)
Thanks for putting up with me,
Matt Young

I GOT NO RESPONSE TO THIS QUESTION, SO I HAD TO WRITE AGAIN!!! - I sent the same question but longer, and this is what I got back:

December 16th, 2005:
Hello,
Unfortunately, AFP isn’t supported on our system. Sorry about that. If you need anything else, please let us know.
Thanks!
Brian

GUESS BRIAN HAS ALOT ON HIS PLATE… so I write again, ho hum…

December 16th, 2005: U guys are really starting to make me mad. (First, you deal with it then you do not…)
How about why? -->
Why does it work on 6 of my web accounts (Web ID plans), but not on my most aged one?
Why is it out of space… what are the chances of it becoming supported… what’s the vote count on it becoming a feature… etc.
I’ll deal with this again later…
Thanks for the cop out… Brian.
You guys are really getting good at the short, brick wall lately, or not really answering answers, scratch that -replies.
Talk soon guys.

YEAH, I WAS MAD… AND PROBABLY WENT OVERBOARD, BUT I WAS FRUSTRATED. I AM QUITE ACTIVE WITH DREAMHOST, AND GENERALLY GIVE PRAISES, BUT NOT WITH THIS SITUATION, THEN I RECIEVE BACK THIS, WHICH JUST MAKES IT WORSE, (BUT HEY IT"S A LONGER RESPONSE!)

Hello,
AFP doesn’t work on the operating system we run. It’s not a feature we support anylonger due to compatibility issues w/ our system. I’m not sure what else I can tell you, you’re upset that a service that we no longer offer isn’t working. I apologize for that, but for this reason, we don’t support it. It simply doesn’t work.
If you need anything else, please let us know.
Thanks!
Brian

NOT SURE WHAT ELSE I cAN TELL U? DID I NOT ASK LIKE 4 or 5 QUESTIONS?!? WHY? LIKE WHAT IS THE REAL PROBLEM, FROM A GEEK PERSPECTIVE? I WROTE BACK AGAIN…

December 19th, 2005:
“you’re upset that a service that we no longer
offer isn’t working. I apologize for that, but for this reason, we don’t
support it. It simply doesn’t work.”

–uh, yeah - it works on all the other servers in place… at least that I have,
but not on dib. You say that you “used” to offer the service, when was that?
As it was never “offered” to me, or any of my clients, except that many people
found it working… and took advantage of it. If you look at my support history
I had an instance before, when one of your guys did fix the problems it was having…
on multiple servers- and I was very happy with that.

1. I’d like you to get your facts straight, before answering.

2. I ALWAYS would like a full answer / history (this one still was not full enough)

3. I’d like to know, if it has come down from above, for you guys to officially NOT
    support fix AFP… or it was just you who made the decision, as you guys do not
    ’officially’ support it, therefore you did not feel that you had to fix it.

4. I may have to disable this account webID and sign up again for another server
    which has a working AFP/Netatalk server running on it… I know, unofficially.
    This will be a shame, as this has been in place for a LONG time.

5. Don’t tell me why I am upset- it’s not necessarily the lack of AFP service. It’s
    the lack of info I get back that makes me angry, I had to ask several times, and you
    guys just skipped over it, I do not type for fun… and laughs. When I make whatever
    support request I put in, I put time into it… I want you guys to do the same, I don’t want
    the 5 second glance and quick “yes/no… whatever…” response we’ve started seeing
    lately. I make decisions based on the info you guys provide for my livelihood. This
    stuff is important, and when we have vague info on anything you guys are doing
    or support/ do not support… it really does not help- AT ALL. I suppose the frustration
    comes from being in IT and support for many years, and the responses are starting
    to look how I and other IT people blew off our clients/ and people some times.
    I dislike being on the other end, and out of the loop- which dreamhost has been good
    at keeping it’s clients in the loop.

-Matt

AND THAT IS IT SO FAR, WAITING ON THE NEXT… I"LL PROBABLY GET KICKED TO THE CURB… I PROBABLY DESERVE IT! JUST THOUGHT THIS WOULD HELP OTHERS…

Artist, Scholar, Gentleman … Technophile

YIKES. I have been having the same problem. I can mount AFP to see my whole account, but the finder says Zero KB Available.

Now, here’s the kicker: I created another use account (they’re both on gage), created a SYMBOLIC LINK to the first account, and from the second account I can AFP in and it works great! 186.1 GB available. That’s more like it.

So this story about “limited AFP Space” is just wrong. It’s some kind of account setting thing, or some kind of Mac OS X cached-badness-cookielike thing.

So I’m all mad but have a workaround and maybe these datum can be evaluated by someone of cooler disposition than myself.

Cheers!