Advantages of Dreamhost

(new thread to avoid diverting existing) G Llewelyn wrote (in ‘4 days of outage’)

Please could you, or anyone, amplify that? Amid all the doomful descriptions of 8-day outages, it would be well worth having at least one thread which explains the compensating advantages of Dreamhost.

(DH is the only web host I know, so I can’t meaningfully contribute, beyond saying that I’ve always found DH efficient and helpful, and thankfully haven’t so far suffered any of these famous outages, but I suppose I’d better be prepared. I need to decide whether my emergency recovery route is going to be a temporary cheapo host that I use for 8 days while my server on Dreamhost is being restored, or whether it’s going to be a host that I actually migrate to.)

~Tom

As far as I am aware, you get a day for every hour your site is down from the minute you report the fault.

But, having never had any major outages I’ve never really looked into it.

The email server in the place I work was down and it took the engineer nearly a week to completely recover everything. Nobody likes it but it just happened.

I think I have been lucky in DH. I am a customer since 2007 and haven’t had any issues with DH. They do manage the shared servers strictly. If a process uses too much resources, they kill it. I’ve heard complains about it but I think it is fair to all users on a shared server.

I like their panels. I think they know what we need.

I started to respond to say they claim 100% uptime, then I thought about what it means…

I have been with DH for almost 3 years. I understand some brief outages for a few hours, but days?? One reason people use web host is they claim 100% uptime. But it doesn’t really say how much time they are really up, just if you complain about it they will compensate you for any downtime. The compensation (based on the entry plan) is around 30 cent an hour it is down. So if your site is down for 7 days you get around $50 in credit? That doesn’t sound like a good deal to me. I mean 7 days straight is a lot different than being down for 3 hours once a week in the middle of the night. An outage of more than a consecutive day will probably always result in some kind of financial loss for small business.

Thank you for these replies. Yes there have been several worrying reports here of outages that are much longer than they should be. What I’m wondering is:

Gwyneth said something interesting, which is that even though (or even if) DH has those outage problems, it does many other things far better than any other host she has tested.

I’ve noticed other people in this forum saying the same or similar things.

So I think it would be helpful to try asking these people what it is that DH does particularly well. The reason is this:

if DH has (in comparison with other hosts) many strong points, then an emergency recovery plan for outages might involve temporarily using another host, and then resuming with DH.

It’s easy. Easy, easy, easy. Register a new domain, add it to your hosting account, install some CMS. No problem. One provider, one invoice, and the auto-install robot will do most of the work. Want a second domain? No problem. Repeat the process and even add a new IP address if you want. All in one place, as many domains as you want. Comparable price, speed, and reliability to other hosts, but you can get a really good deal on the first year or get an expensive account upgrade for free with a promo code.

Ok, eventually you’ll test the limits of shared hosting. I found it after about three bookmarking sites with SQL databases bigger than 500MB - running on a version of the CMS software that was notorious for using too many resources on queries to large databases. So, maybe you want to upgrade to a VPS, but you don’t want to pick up half a dozen sites and migrate them to a new server. No problem! With a few clicks, I had all my domains migrated to a VPS and I haven’t really noticed any outages or slowdowns lately. Again, comparable service and price to other VPS providers but I was able to build the account up organically from a smaller start. The VPS is also a LOT more user-friendly than the one you’d get at Linode or some place like that, where you’d have to install all of Linux, Apache, MYSQL, and PHP before your server can host anything.