Advanced Blog Program

apps

I’m wanting to make a blog, but some of the info I want to post is sort of sensitive. I want to post my experiences with patients (without their names of course), but I don’t want this available to the public.

Is anyone aware of a blog program that offers encryption and/or mySQL ability?

Thanks!

I don’t know about encryption, but most of the major weblog scripts out there seem to use MySQL. Someone else could probably comment more on that than I can, though.

One easy way to keep things hidden is to password protect the directory that the script is in. You can set up htaccess based password protection from the web panel, under ‘Goodies’. It’s not quite as good as some schemes, but should work in a pinch.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

A program like Radioland (http://radio.userland.com/) allows you to keep the log local to your computer. I don’t use it, but it should run on most Windows or Mac systems. (I use Movable Type.)

In general, I would be cautious about putting anything online that I didn’t want to make public, even if it was password-protected.

As a followup to bchaplin’s post, regarding Radio Userland.

As a single guy/geek, I (sometimes) have more money than I know what to do with. So I use Radio Userland. In this scenario, you’d want to make sure something they call “Upstreaming” is turned off. (That actually publishes the page on a public webserver.) It’s easy to setup and powerful and they’ve got a lot of smart/forward thinking ideas. Download the trial and see if it works for you. (Or, post to their user area and ask questions.)

Yet, I still use Movable Type because it fits me better. (The concept behind Radio Userland is everything is done on the local PC; so you can’t easily run it from a second computer without clobbering what you did on the first one. Yet in fairness to them there are some narly workarounds; but they stick to their guns that their market is local computer-based server blogging.)

And oh yeah, on the more money than I know what to do with and definitely off-topic, my car probably got totalled by a hit and run driver at my house overnight. The impound lot was closed today so I haven’t seen my car yet but debris was spread over a 45 foot area this morning. So the signs are not good.

But, happy blogging. :slight_smile:

Jim

[quote]As a single guy/geek, I (sometimes) have more money than I know what to do with

[/quote]

Next time this happens, please feel free to take any money you’re not sure how to spend, place it in an envelope, and mail it to:

DreamHost
Attn: William Yardley
PO Box 5479
Huntington Park, CA

I’m very good at spending money, and I promise to have fun while spending it.

[quote]I’m very good at spending money, and I promise to have fun
while spending it.

[/quote]

Be advised that Will is a record junky, and if you send him money you’re only encouraging him to purchase yet more useless round platters made of wax.

Of course, should you wish to really help, feel free to change that ‘Attn’ line to my name and I’ll be sure to invest it in a 12 step program on Will’s behalf.

Step 1: Deposit money into Jeff’s bank account.

Step 12: Retire.

• Jeff @ DreamHost

Get with the times, Jeff. Records these days are generally made out of plastic, and not wax. “Wax” is just an expression… wax cylinders haven’t been in common usage for quite some time.

Besides… there are plenty of other things I spend money on. I haven’t been record shopping for quite some time. If you send it to Jeff, he’ll probably spend it on a Star Trek outfit or a bad industrial CD.

Speaking of sending stuff over here, on the (admittedly slight) chance that anyone on this forum is responsible for sending the Harry and David stuff to Sage and myself, thank you (the name wasn’t one that I recognized off the bat). I didn’t personally have much use for the sausage, cheese, or crackers (being of the herbivorous persuasion), but I’ve been working on the pears and nuts… and I’m sure someone around DH hq will be want to scarf down those big sausages (heh…) and other goodies.

[quote]wax cylinders haven’t been in common usage for quite
some time.

[/quote]

Bah. It’s not my fault I’m More Old School Than Thou™. Those new-fangled plastic records you kids are playing these days don’t have the same warmth and range that wax does.

I bet you’ve got an 8 Track installed in your car too! Feh.

[quote]If you send it to Jeff, he’ll probably spend it on a Star
Trek outfit or a bad industrial CD.

[/quote]

You’ve got me pegged wrong. I’ve never purchased a bit of Star Trek merchandise in my life. If I’m going to geek out on science fiction, it’s going to be Orson Scott Card, Kim Stanley Robinson, Greg Bear, or something else more along those lines (and maybe a bit o’ Star Wars as a guilty pleasure).

However… I actually have purchased a ton of bad industrial CDs, and would do it all over again if I had the chance. :>

• Jeff @ DreamHost

[quote]You’ve got me pegged wrong. I’ve never purchased a bit of Star Trek merchandise in my life.

[/quote]

I know… but I just couldn’t resist the cheap shot. :>