Administrating htaccess By Multiple Users

I have a site where I want to password protect different directories using .htaccess.

I’m using the web interface under Goodies, Htaccess/WebDav.

It works for the primary user, but I want other users to be able to control this functionality.

When other users try to set up htaccess, it fails and I get an email error message complaining that the users is not the owner of the directory.

Obviously I can’t change the owner of the directory, nor would I want to.

Is there a simple solution? I don’t want to give the contributors access to the primary account, and I don’t want them to train them to edit .htaccess files manually.

It would also be nice if the contributors got a copy of the error email. That would make sense to me.

Sorry if this is a FAQ, I’ve done my best to search the Wiki and the forums. Surprised not to be able to find anyone else with this problem.

Thanks…

You’ve already eliminated the simple solution of sharing a particular user with the contributors so that you don’t run into ownership and permission issues. That said the next logical step would be to setup a CGI application - CGI applications run as the domain user so there would not be an ownership/permission issue.

Customer since 2000 :cool: openvein.org