Adding new sites

Hi all

I have two simple website hosted on googlepages which i have made myself and two domains are redirected to them.

this time I have asked a coder/designer to make me another website (in php/MySQL) also he is going to help to upload and set. so it is altogather gonna be 3.

I have ftp access to dreamhost and I can see there

logs
maildir
********.com
.bashrc
.bash_profile
.alias
.cshrc

Now my question is I want to transfer the 2 site from googlepages.
what I have to do. Just make two new folders and upload it there? if this the case the Coder who is helping me upload the new site which he made will be able to see the other two directories?? How to hide them or restrict access?

also how I redirect the domain to those two sites (domains are not with dreamhost- which address/setting I need to put in DNS or HTTP for domains)

regards

For your existing sites:

1. Add hosting for the two domains in your DreamHost panel using Domains>Manage Domains>Add New Domain / Sub-Domain. You want a fully hosted domain. This will also create the web directory for these domains under your user account.
  2. Upload the sites to the directories that were created for you in step 1.
  3. Use the information in the Viewing Site Before DNS Change page on the DreamHost support wiki to… view your site before making any DNS changes.
  4. If everything looks good, switch the nameservers for your domain to ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com, and ns3.dreamhost.com.

For the new site, I had a few questions. Is your developer going to continue to maintain the site or is he just going to program it and then leave it to you?

You actually have three choices:

1. Give him your username and password for ftp access for a while. This has obvious downsides, even if you change your password afterwards.
  2. Create a new username as password for him. This isolates his account from yours, but the new domain will be hosted out of his home directory rather than yours so if you’re eventually going to take it over, you’ll have to remember that it’s over in the other home directory.
  3. Do 2, but copy everything over to your home directory after he’s done.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

Hello and thanks for the advice regarding adding new sites.
That one is done.

Now about the developer situation.
No he is only developing the site, I am paying him one off fee for just to design & program the database.
he is going to help set it up initially only.

I will go for option two as you said.
But don’t you think there would be any problem about links to MySQL database etc (I only know about simple HTML script not PHP/MySQL) if I transfer it from HIS ftp account to main directory??

regards

I’m not exactly sure how MySQL databases work across (account) users, so maybe someone else with more experience can chime in.

I think it’s the case that all the hosts and databases set up are independent of which panel user created them, so that wouldn’t be a problem.

The only problem that you’d have to worry about would be hardcoded full pathnames. Those are considered evil, so I suspect he wouldn’t have any.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

The developer is still working on the site so will see how it goes.

Another thing.
This new site I am starting. I have the xxx.com (FREE one) address configured OK and is working.
How can I redirect the xxx.co.uk address to it. I have changed the nameservers in xxx.co.uk account but still not working.
Do you think I have to use “Redirect or Frame redirect option” instead of nameservers?
I’d prefer to use the nameserver option. any idea please?

regards

[quote]How can I redirect the xxx.co.uk address to it. I have changed the nameservers in xxx.co.uk account but still not working.
Do you thing I have to use “Redirect or Frame redirect option” instead of nameservers?
I’d prefer to use the nameserver option. any idea?[/quote]
So I’m assuming you’ve set the nameservers for the yourdomain.co.uk domain to dreamhost. You need to add hosting for that domain via “Domains>Manage Domains>Add New Domain / Sub-Domain”. Add it as a redirected domain.

ahh!
it worked.

BUT, I can not verify this .co.uk address in google webmaster as it is a redirected URL.
I get this error
"We encountered an error looking up your site’s domain name"

When I click on the link
http://www.peeklocal.co.uk/google99odr.html

it goes like this with error
http://www.peeklocal.comgoogle99odr.html/

Notice the “/”

I do not what I am doing wrong!
Any idea please?
regards

Righto!

Yep I figured it out.
instead of Reidrected option. I used ADD-New domain
http://www.peeklocal.co.uk
and then
Specify your web directory:
I entered “PeekLocal.com” then one already with .com add

===========

Now I get it. bother URL are fully hosted and pointing to ONE "web directory"
and I can access to a file from both URLs

http://www.peeklocal.com/animated_favicon1.gif
http://www.peeklocal.co.uk/animated_favicon1.gif
and google is sorted too.

thanks lensman for the responses.

Regards

You’ll have the same content for both sites. This may have some SEO implications. You should be able to get a redirected domain to work out correctly - it’s probably just a matter of entering the right url into the redirection field.