Adding Capthca to forms?

apps

Hello all…

I’m new to web stuff and fairly new to dreamhost hosting…

I just recently added a form to my website but I want to add one of those things that people have to fill out whether letters or numbers, etc. to prove they are a human. I think this is called Capthca…

Can anyone tell me how to do that?

Thanks so much! Btw, I know a little bit about html and stuff, but NOTHING major at all. :slight_smile: I’ve figured stuff out thus far tho to switch my site from an sbi site over to dreamhost and add a form and such, etc.

Thanks again!

Carey

DreamHost doesn’t provide a captcha solution of its own.

You can visit http://recaptcha.net/ for a solution provided by a 3rd party that offers a captcha service for hiding e-mail addresses or as a web application plugin or developer API.

And of course for developers there are other captcha solutions for PHP, Perl etc. For example this one I wrote: CAPTCHA Front-end for DreamHost Formmail

:cool: openvein.org -//-

Ok so I went to that recaptcha site but I couldn’t figure it out.

Like I went to the php portion and I couldn’t figure out where to put the first part of the code nor where to put the 2nd part of the code (I have my public and private keys saved tho.)

I don’t use dreamhost formmail…I use Mailloop for my forms and autoresponders, etc.

Can you give me any tidbits on the litter information I just provided ya? Thanks for your response!

Carey

[quote]I don’t use dreamhost formmail…I use Mailloop for my forms and autoresponders, etc.

Can you give me any tidbits on the litter information I just provided ya? Thanks for your response![/quote]
Eh, the people who made Mailloop haven’t published any details so its impossible for me to say if you can integrate a CAPTCHA with their software. If they provide support you might want to ask them directly about that.

It’s a simple concept but it requires server-side processing (ie work must be done on the web site, not in the browser). So either it has to be built-in to whatever is handling your form now or you have to use something else that verifies the CAPTCHA first and then behind the scenes passes the form data on for additional processing.

The script I linked to is an example of the latter. It verifies the CAPTCHA and then calls the DreamHost script to send the e-mail message. It assumes the DreamHost script does certain things though and since I don’t know what mailloop does I can’t say the same approach would work with it.

Customer since 2000 :cool: openvein.org

I actually did contact Mailloop and they said Capthca works with their stuff and they gave me the link to the same website you gave to be in the beginning.

That’s how I tried it, but I didn’t know where to put the first part of the script and then I didn’t know where to put the second part of the script and if I needed to change anything else within the script.

I tried posting stuff via my ftp on my formmail.pl section then also just on certain pages where I had a form show up, but couldn’t get it to work.

Ok sooo knowing that Mailloop says that Capthca works with their stuff and that they sent me the same exact link that you sent me…I’m assuming I can do this, right?

So, also knowing that I use dreamhost for my hosting and that I have forms on certain web pages would you be able to tell me where I actually put each section of the script on my ftp thingy?

Do I put the first section with the public code on the formmail.pl page? Do I put the second section with the private code on all pages that have forms and within the form section? Etc.

I’m sorry I’m being a pain…but it dives me nuts when I can’t figure something out ESPECIALLY when I’m directed to the site that says: here’s how you do this with instructions. lol

You’d have to learn Perl (the .pl extension means it is a Perl script) and modify formmail.pl to use http://search.cpan.org/~andya/Captcha-reCAPTCHA-0.92/lib/Captcha/reCAPTCHA.pm

I’m willing to either do it for you with compensation or provide an example.

Edit:

Example: http://atropos.openvein.org/Web/Perl/CAPTCHA.pl
Example Source: http://atropos.openvein.org/Web/Perl/source/CAPTCHA.pl

To get it working, used CPAN to install both HTML::Tiny and Captcha::reCAPTCHA. I haven’t commented the code yet.

Atropos,

That looks fantastic, but I know jack**** about perl or how to integrate this. Any chance of instructions on how to implement this? It would be greatly appreciated.

Furious.

Atropos,

That looks fantastic, but I know jack**** about perl or how to integrate this. Any chance of instructions on how to implement this? It would be greatly appreciated.

Furious.

I can’t turn you into a web application developer overnight. You’re going to need to learn some type of programming or scripting langauge like Perl, PHP or Python and apply problem solving skills. Or you can throw so money at the problem and hire someone to do it for you if you don’t have the time. Or at the very least come to the table with something to show for it - what exactly do you want to add a CAPTCHA to? If you are using WordPress, MedaWiki or Drupal etc then people have already done the work and you just need to install a plugin. Otherwise this is comparable to surgery, and not something as simple as slapping on a bandage.

Perhaps you’ll find something that suits you if you search for instructions on adding a CAPTCHA

And don’t take this the wrong way its just that I’ve already said I’d do it for compensation or provide an example. There is no third option.

wow man I wasn’t trying to annoy you. thanks for the reply, but I already got it working with html, ajax, and php. i’m not a total moron, and got it figured out, i was just looking for some friendly help. anyway, sorry to have bothered you bro. good luck on that compensation thing.

Hey that’s great!

In case anyone else wants instructions for using reCAPTCHA in particular check out their Resources page at http://recaptcha.net/resources.html