Adding a second database

I already have a database set up on my account. The hostname being used is mysql.domain.com. I now want to add a second.

When I use the control panel to create the db I get the error “You’re already using “mysql.domain.com” for a database (or website).”

Does this mean that I have to a different hostname for each database or am I doing something wrong?

Regards

Dave

No, you can have multiple databases under the one hostname. Simply select an existing hostname using the drop-down Hostname: control when creating the new database, do not select Create a new hostname now…

Edit: I believe DreamHost changed the way they handle hostnames/databases a little while ago. You may not be able to add a new database to a hostname created before the change, but adding multiple databases to new hostnames should not be a problem.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Yup, that worked.

I deleted the existing database and now I can add more than one to a host.

Thanks

Dave

Excellent, I thought that would be the case.

I only discovered the limitation because I too have some database host names created before the new system was implemented and I can’t add more databases to these host names, but I have no problems adding databases to new host names.

Good luck.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)