Add new web address?

I am really a newbie in some of this so forgive a naive question. I have 2 different sites hosted for 2 different companies I have. I want to add a temporary new web address (for a friend’s party next year)–I don’t mind paying for the registration (something like ‘joesbash2008.net’) but don’t want to pay separate hosting fees for this address.

Can I use a sub of one of my existing sites and have folks directed there when they click on the joesbash2008.net link? What do I need to do?

Thanks.

You don’t have to as Dreamhost can host unlimited domains, i.e. your addresses.

I don’t quite get you but DH can host your main domain and subdomains. Goto manage domain in your web panel and you can add as many domains/subdomains as you like.

And of course, your domain need to point to DH’s nameservers :
ns1.dreamhost.com
ns2.dreamhost.com

T-T-L
$77 off (yearly plan) 1 Additional Free Domain For Hosting Lifetime :cool: . See Detail Here

You can do anything you want. Getting a separate domain will cost you the registration fee, but a subdomain on an existing domain would be free.

If you’re not trying to hide your domain for some reason, you could even just add a directory, like example.com/joesbash2008/, instead of adding a subdomain, like joesbash2008.example.com.

They all do the same thing, if you just want a site that you can link people to for more info.

If you want to hide your other domains, but don’t want to pay for a domain, then just create a free dreamhosters.com subdomain like joesbash2008.dreamhosters.com.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

BTW, you are the account holder here at DreamHost, right?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Yes, I am.

Thanks to all the inputs. I have now registered the domain name and parked it. I forgot about the 1 free registration (the company site is registered elsewhere and paid for by the company), so I used the free reg for this. Perfect.

Cheers,

John.

Cool. BTW, it’s worth mentioning that you don’t need to renew that domain next year. You can just let it lapse and register a different one as your free one.

(I dunno how long you’ll need the temporary domain, but am using “one year” as an example.)

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Good idea. The bash is next May so it will be finished by next summer. Didn’t know about rolling the free registration over. I thought it was only good for 1 year (the “free” registration charges $9.95 for the second year.)

Nope - it’s good forever, as long as your hosted here.

If there’s an open bar at this big bash, you should probably invite everyone that contributed to this thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.