"Acts of Nature"

What are your back-ups in case of fire, flood, forced blackout / brownout, or eathquake?
(Used to live in your neck of the woods, and sometimes things go bump in the night, or day)

[quote]What are your back-ups in case of fire, flood, forced
blackout / brownout, or eathquake?

[/quote]

Our data centers are significantly ‘hardened’ against this sort of thing - particularly brown-outs, which were a pretty big issue a year or two ago, if I recall. Same thing with fire and earthquake.

As far as flooding goes, I’m not too sure, but it would need to be quite the flood to reach the location of our main data center. :>

All new accounts are going to servers housed at an Exodus IDC. From their site (http://exodus.com/global_infrastructure/idc/index.html):

Exodus Internet Data Centers (IDCs) provide the physical environment that keeps your servers up and running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

These world-class facilities are custom-designed with raised floors, HVAC temperature control systems with separate cooling zones, and seismically braced racks. Exodus IDCs are further supported by some of the most powerful physical security in the business, from advanced smoke detection and fire suppression systems to 24/7 secured access with motion sensors, video camera surveillance, and security breach alarms.

To deliver the highest possible levels of reliability and performance, Exodus IDCs feature a redundant network of multiple fiber trunks from multiple sources, redundant power on the premises, and multiple backup generators. This network of IDCs operates throughout the world in major metropolitan areas, with close proximity to major public and private interconnects. The goal: to maximize connectivity rates and overall site performance.

All Exodus IDCs combine round-the-clock systems management with onsite personnel trained in the areas of networking and systems management. The result: a physical and technical environment delivering the reliability and flexibility necessary to support mission-critical Internet operations.

I don’t know about our other data center, provided by 4th Stage, but we are no longer hosting new signups at that particular location.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Thanks, Jeff. Think you may have a new customer shortly!