Accountability in email users?

I work with a non-profit group that is setting up a website (not on DH tho) :((( for persons with disabilities as an on line community.

Since I have many possible email addresses, and can easily add more, I suggested donating them to this group for persons with low income to use. They can get online via NetZero or at the library or wherever and have access to email (without ads!!!) at the least.

However, someone mentioned that should someone I ‘gave’ an email address to use that email address to do something not so legal, that I would be the one to be accountable for their actions.

Is this true?

HR

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

[quote]However, someone mentioned that should someone I ‘gave’ an email
address to use that email address to do something not so legal, that I
would be the one to be accountable for their actions.

[/quote]

That’s basically true. If we received an abuse complaint for one of your users, we’d probably give you a warning (and request that you terminate the user’s account), but further infractions could result in the loss of your account. We have a lot of people who use freemail services like Big Mailbox to provide free web-based mail; when people use these as drop boxes for spam mailings, we usually just ask the customer to get rid of that account. Most of our customers are good about this, so as long as there’s no evidence that they’re complicit, and as long as they take action, we don’t sweat it.

You are responsible for any activities of your sub-users. Personally, I wouldn’t suggest giving an account to someone you don’t know or trust.

Thanks for the reply. I will follow your advice.

HR

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?