Accessing web folder using SSH?

Hi.

Please bear with me because I’m sort of new to bash and ssh and web programming and all that.

I have an ssh account set up, but the problem I’m having is that the folder that contains all my web stuff seems hidden.

That is, if I connect to my web space using FTP, I see three folders:

mydomain.com
logs
Maildir

(note: mydomain.com is just a placeholder, but you get the idea)

However, when I connect using ssh, and I call the ls command from whichever directory I start in (my home directory, I presume), all I see is:

logs
Maildir

If I try to cd mydomain.com, it says:

-bash: cd: mydomain.com: No such file or directory

Now, like I said, I have no problem accessing that folder when connecting via FTP, but with ssh it’s just not there for some reason, and I can’t find it.

I tried to get my bearings, because typically the bash prompt will tell me what directory I’m in (for most systems I’ve used), but in this case, the prompt just says [apocalypes] all the time, so I have no idea.

So, I tried to cd … and then ls to sort of “get a view from above”, but when I ran the ls command, it told me that permission has been denied. Since I had no idea where I was, I had no choice but to cd ~.

Speaking of which, I tried typing:

cd ~/mydomain.com

and it told me:

-bash: cd: /home/shelluser/mydomain.com: No such file or directory

So I guess that answers the question of where my home dir is, but I still can’t seem to access that web folder.

My first guess is that you’re logging in as two different users. In shell, try the ‘pwd’ command which will Print Working Directory.

For more insight, take a look inside the ‘logs’ directory. Whatever domains that user hosts will have log folders named after the domain.

-Scott