Accesing a site with the IP

i’m an user of dreamhost… i want to transfer a domain to dreamhost but i wold like to know how can i access the domain with the ip before the transfer is made so i can move the mysql database first

thanks

As far as I know, there is no way you can do this. Most of us are sharing IP addresses anyway, unless you have an SSL account. Once you have setup your account, you can can create a temporary subdomain in the control panel:

unique_subdomain_name.dreamhosters.com

You can then create a MySQL hostname with that subdomain that you can use until your own domain has propogated. I recommend deleting the subdomain once you no longer require it.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

This is exactly what I did to transfer my database-driven site, and it worked perfectly.

You can, if I understand your request.

Assuming you have a hosting plan already, first create a new user that you want to use to access the site. Then add the domain to your package (before, obviously, you transfer the DNS records).

Within 2 hours (normally about 20 minutes) you’ll get emails confirming that the user and web account have been created. It will also tell you how to access your account before DNS propegates. In my case, it told me to use bob.dreamhost.com.

SSH to that server (ie, bob.dreamhost.com) and log into your account. Once you’re there, type “ping www.yourwebsite.com”. Even though DNS hasn’t propegated across the net, THEY will have their server set to whatever IP you’ll be assigned to.

Let’s say that the ping comes back as “12.34.56.78”. As others have said, that’s a shared IP, and in order for virtual hosting to work correctly, you need to come in via a normal URL that includes your website name. If you’re on a Windows box, you can accomplish this by editing your c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file and adding a line that reads:

12.34.56.78 www.yourwebsite.com

(If you’re on a mac, I’m sure there’s a way to do it, but I don’t know it. And if you’re on linux, look for /etc/hosts instead.)

Now when you go to www.yourwebsite.com in your browser, you should be taken to your new site. When you set up your mysql database, you’ll give it a name (ie, mysql,yourwebsite.com). Do the same thing you did w/ www. Ping it, get the IP, and add it to your hosts file.

Hope that helps,

Jonathan

If you’re on a mac, I’m sure there’s a way to do it, but I don’t know it. And if you’re on linux, look for /etc/hosts instead.

OS X, being Unix, also has /etc/hosts. It works the same as on any *nix system.